Solving Simple Homework Problems: An Exercise in O(x^4) Analysis

In summary, a student is struggling with solving certain types of problems and is seeking guidance. They provide a sample problem and its solution, but question the chosen constants. The expert suggests that the actual constants do not matter as long as the statement is true.
TheLegace

Homework Statement

Hi, I have been having huge problems with dealing with these kinds of problems, I would appreciate atleast some guidance in dealing with these sorts of problems, I think the major problem is just how I learned to solve them, I have been looking for resources on the net, but it just gets to complicated, and I need someone to help me start with simple stuff first.

A very simple problem I am starting with will be this one:

Is x^4 + 9x^3 + 4x + 7 O(x^4) ?

Homework Equations

Well obviously start with:

|x^4 + 9x^3 + 4x + 7| ≤ C|x^4|

The Attempt at a Solution

Now if I try working this out

|x^4 + 9x^3 + 4x + 7| ≤ C|x^4| for all x > k
x^4 + 9x^3 + 4x + 7 ≤ 1x^4 + 9x^4 4x^4 7x^4 for all x > 1
f(x) ≤ 21x^4 for all x > 1
so for C=21 and k=1 f(x) = O(x^4).

Now the solution in the textbook says the constants are C=4, k=9.
Am I wrong or do the constants matter, I know there are infinite amount of constants if the statement is true, but why choose those ones anyway then?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like your way. Simple and direct. The actual constants don't matter.

1. What is O(x^4) analysis and why is it important in solving homework problems?

O(x^4) analysis is a type of mathematical analysis used to determine the time complexity of an algorithm. It is important in solving homework problems because it helps us understand how long it will take for a program to run and how it will perform as the input size increases.

2. How do I know if a problem can be solved using O(x^4) analysis?

In general, problems that involve nested loops or recursion are good candidates for O(x^4) analysis. This is because the time complexity of these types of algorithms often increases exponentially as the input size increases.

3. What are the steps to solving a simple homework problem using O(x^4) analysis?

The first step is to identify the algorithm used to solve the problem. Then, determine the time complexity of each step in the algorithm, usually denoted as O(x). Next, determine the number of times each step is executed, which can be represented as O(x^2) or O(x^3) for nested loops. Finally, combine the time complexity of each step to get the overall time complexity, which will be O(x^4) in this case.

4. Can I use O(x^4) analysis for problems with more complex algorithms?

Yes, O(x^4) analysis can be used for problems with more complex algorithms. However, as the algorithm becomes more complex, it may be more difficult to determine the time complexity of each step and the overall time complexity.

5. How can O(x^4) analysis help me improve my problem-solving skills?

O(x^4) analysis can help you improve your problem-solving skills by giving you a better understanding of how algorithms and programs work. It also allows you to identify areas of your code that may need to be optimized for better performance. Additionally, practicing O(x^4) analysis can help you become more efficient in solving problems and developing algorithms.