Deriving Formulas for Acceleration on an Inclined Plane: Where Did I Go Wrong?

• Thread starter kppowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the teacher wants you to use a formula to calculate acceleration for a block for any given frictional force, mass, and angle. However, when you use g*Sin(angle)=a, the block will have a negative acceleration until an angle of 15 degrees is reached.
kppowell
Edit: Sorry, i just realized i posted this in the wrong section.

Ok so I was assigned this project to compare accelerations of a 200g block on an inclined plane to that of a marble. My teacher also wanted me to derive formulas to solve acceleration for any given frictional force, mass, and angle. I used g*Sin(angle)=a for the marble since there is little to no friction and it worked perfect.

However the formula i derived for the block is not working like i thought it would.
I started with Fx=ma

u=coefficient of Friction
Frictional Force (Ff)= u*Fn or mass*gravity*Cos(angle) <----Right?

From here i went on to get this:

Acceleration = {u*mass*gravity*Cos(angle) - mass*gravity*Sin(angle)} / Mass

However this formula is giving me decreasing accelerations as the angle increases.

Please Help! What am i doing wrong, and what formula will give me acceleration for the block for any given frictional force, angle, and mass.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look here - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mincl.html#c2

Note that the angle is with respect to the horizontal.

g sin (angle) will increase as the angle increase from zero to pi/2 (or 0 to 90°), while ug cos (angle) will decrease.

The acceleration is negative which means downward in terms of a vector orientation, or opposite the direction of up the ramp.

Note the sign convention with g*Sin(angle)=a for the marble, where one used a positive convention for the downward acceleration. One must be consistent.

awesome, thanks. However the formula gSin(angle) - ugCos(angle) = a gives me a negative acceleration until i reach an angle of 15 degrees. Is there a way to calculate for the acceleration below 15 degrees? I drew this out as a free body diagram for an angle of 2 degrees but i don't not know how to explain this giving me a negative acceleration until 15 degrees.

Below 15 degrees, the block will not move just by the component of the weight parallel to the incline. In order to move, it would require an external force equivalent to the mass of the block * the positive acceleration that one calculates.

1. What is the scope of the problem in your project?

The scope of the problem in my project refers to the extent or size of the issue that I am facing. It outlines the boundaries and limitations of the problem, such as the specific area or aspect of the project that is being affected.

2. How did the problem arise in your project?

The problem in my project may have arisen due to various factors, such as incorrect data, technical issues, or human error. It is important to identify the root cause of the problem in order to find an effective solution.

3. What are the potential consequences of the problem in your project?

The consequences of the problem in my project can range from minor setbacks to major delays or failures. It can also impact the overall success of the project and its objectives. It is important to address the problem promptly to minimize its impact.

4. How are you planning to solve the problem in your project?

I am planning to use a systematic approach to solve the problem in my project. This includes identifying and analyzing the problem, developing a plan of action, implementing the solution, and evaluating its effectiveness. I will also seek input from other team members and utilize available resources.

5. What steps will you take to prevent similar problems from occurring in the future?

To prevent similar problems from occurring in the future, I will conduct a thorough evaluation of the project to identify any potential risks or issues. I will also implement measures, such as regular check-ins and quality control processes, to monitor the project's progress and address any problems promptly. Additionally, I will learn from this experience and make necessary adjustments to my approach and strategies for future projects.