1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Question

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    Big Question!!!

In my chem class the teacher doesnt explain very much so I decided to see if this site may help. Ok, so my question is: The atomic mass of an element X is 46.80. A 35.78 gram sample of X combines with 84.10 grams of another element Y, to form the compound XY. Calculate the atomic weight of Y.
    Explanations are greatly appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

atomic weight and atomic mass can be used to mean the same thing for purposes of this problem. let y = unknown formula weight, or 'atomic weight' of Y. The X and Y react in a 1:1 mole ratio. How many moles of X was combined in the reaction to form XY? Remember, you were given 35.78 grams of X to react. Enough now to find your set-up and result?

4. Sep 16, 2007 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Note you made (35.78+84.10) grams of XY. Number of moles = (35.78g)/(46.80g/mole) of XY because the number of moles of X in the reaction is equivalent to the number of moles of XY formed, according to the quantities used in the reaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?