Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Town Clock or Tower clock

1. Jul 16, 2013 #1
    I just wanted to know how a town or a tower clock works. I would like to know if I can device a mechanism such that I will be able to use the striking train to strike every second, loud and clear i.e. I must get a loud chime every second but without using an electrical supply.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Energy. This is the key to your request. You need some kind of energy to "strike" the chime. Have you checked on how this has been done for hundreds of years already, before electric clocks were available?

4. Jul 17, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am still not sure how a town clock works.
    May be you can come to a conclusion after watching these links.

do we need to give a key to it manually every once in a while?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jul 17, 2013 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

“In mechanical clocks, the power source is typically either a weight suspended from a cord or chain wrapped around a pulley, sprocket or drum; or a spiral spring called a mainspring. Mechanical clocks must be wound periodically, usually by turning a knob or key or by pulling on the free end of the chain, to store energy in the weight or spring to keep the clock running.”
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock#Power_source

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook