Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big wind storm in the NW

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We got hammered by a storm last night. Given the number of very large trees on the property, we always worry when we start getting gusts of 50mph and greater.

My brother just called to say that his mother-in-law lost her home in the storm. His sister-in-law happened to be spending the night to help with her dad [dad is an invalid]. About 2 AM the wind started howling so badly that it woke everyone up. As they were all standing at the window looking at the trees, a huge fir tree came down right along the middle of the house, lengthwise. If the sister had still been in bed she would have been killed. Luckily, no one was hurt, but the house was completely destroyed.

The dad was still trapped in the house when the fire department arrived. And get this: The fire department refused to get him out! They said it was too dangerous!!! So a couple of the neighbors had to do it.

They are insured and will be okay, but many irreplaceable items were lost; the roof is gone, and it's raining. The dad has a special bed that they can't even get out yet. What a nightmare.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sorry to hear that Ivan. Though I am a little perplexed at what the rescue workers get paid to do in those circumstances.

I hope it all turns out well.

4. Jan 2, 2009 #3
    News of the bad weather has reached the Midwest. The wind, rain and now flooding. Sorry to hear your brothers family had such a ruff go of things.

5. Jan 2, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ivan that's terrible! But glad to hear no one was injured. Did you have trees come down, or do you know yet?

6. Jan 2, 2009 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm so sorry, Ivan. This is the first I have even heard about the storm.

7. Jan 2, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The place looks like a war zone but no major damage for us that I know about yet.

I'm not close to that end of the family, but, yes, it is quite a bad day for all involved. The sister only avoided certain death by a couple of minutes.

8. Jan 2, 2009 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow Ivan. I'm so sorry. Sounds like you have a big clean-up ahead.

9. Jan 2, 2009 #8
    I can't believe that the fire department would refuse to attempt the rescue. I wonder if they were there when the neighbors went in and done the FD's job.

10. Jan 2, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

That's very sad news, Ivan, though the loss of possessions is minor compared to the loss of life. So happy to hear that your family members are OK. I really should get valued original photographs, negatives, etc in my fire-rated Mosler safe. I'm lazy about that, and it may come back to bite me someday. I have tens of thousands of negatives. I also need to protect a box that my wife has populated with stuff that is precious to her, including a hand-made Valentine's day card that I used to propose to her.

11. Jan 2, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

One of my closest neighbors is the chief of the volunteer fire department. He would have been in there in a flash. Ronnie is the real deal.

12. Jan 2, 2009 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to what I was told, they were, but perhaps with time and more details the story will make sense. Right now everyone is exhausted and frustrated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?