Need Help Installing BigDFT? Find Solutions and Advice Here!

In summary, it is recommended to install BigDFT on a Linux operating system or use a virtual machine if you do not have access to one. It is also advised to seek support from the BigDFT community and consider using a Linux distribution specifically designed for scientific computing. Don't give up, as BigDFT will be an important asset for your research.
the_trixie
Hello everyone!
I need to instal and use BigDFT on my computer. I tried to use Cygwin but situation is kinda hopeless.
Can you suggest me what to do? A friend (engineer, not physicist) suggested me to instal WUBI and try there.
Anyone here had experience in using BigDFT? Is WUBI good solution? I lost 10days trying to make BigDFT work on Cygwin and now I'm really short on time!
My masters degree work is "Application of GPU on DFT calculations". I need this BigDFT to run certain examples on cuda based GPU computer and on regular CPU and discuss the results. But i can't make it work at all! I haven't reach physics yet I'm lost with installation and compilers... :cry:
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I understand your frustration and I'm happy to help. First of all, I would recommend trying to install BigDFT on a Linux operating system instead of using Cygwin. It is a more compatible and efficient platform for running scientific software like BigDFT. If you do not have access to a Linux computer, you can try using a virtual machine such as VirtualBox to run Linux on your current system. This will allow you to use Linux without having to install it directly on your computer.

As for WUBI, it is a good solution for running Linux on a Windows system, but it may not be the most efficient for running BigDFT. I would suggest using a Linux distribution specifically designed for scientific computing, such as Ubuntu Studio or CentOS. These distributions come with pre-installed scientific software and are optimized for running these types of programs.

Additionally, I recommend reaching out to the BigDFT community for support. They have a forum and a mailing list where you can ask for help and get tips from other users. They may also have specific guides or tutorials for installing BigDFT on different systems.

Lastly, don't be discouraged by the installation process. It can be challenging, but once you have it set up, BigDFT will be a valuable tool for your research. Good luck with your masters degree work!

What is BigDFT and why would I need to install it?

BigDFT is a software package used for electronic structure calculations in materials science and condensed matter physics. It is commonly used to study the properties of molecules, solids, and surfaces. You would need to install it if you are conducting research in these fields and need to perform electronic structure calculations.

What are the system requirements for installing BigDFT?

The system requirements for installing BigDFT vary depending on the operating system you are using. Generally, you will need a Linux or MacOS operating system, a C++ compiler, and the ability to install external libraries. More specific requirements can be found on the BigDFT website.

How do I install BigDFT on my computer?

The recommended method for installing BigDFT is through the use of a package manager, such as apt-get for Linux or Homebrew for MacOS. You can also download the source code and compile it yourself, but this method may be more complicated and time-consuming.

What are the common issues that arise during BigDFT installation?

Some common issues that may arise during BigDFT installation include missing external libraries, incompatible versions of the C++ compiler, and incorrect system configurations. It is important to carefully follow the installation instructions and troubleshoot any problems that may arise.

Who can I contact for help with BigDFT installation?

If you encounter any difficulties during the installation process, you can contact the BigDFT community for help. This can be done through the BigDFT website, where you can find forums, mailing lists, and other resources for support. You can also reach out to the developers directly for assistance.