[bigfoot] Challenge to CSICOP re Patterson film

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of accurately recreating the "costume" used in the Patterson footage, which features a large, wild monster. The conversation also mentions a wildlife documentary series called X-Creatures and a scene from an episode featuring a creature that was filmed in 1995 or later. There is also a mention of an episode of X-Files that features the Patterson film and a discussion about potential "grey costumes" and their ability to float. Discussions about wearing the suit for a fee and issues with links on a website are also mentioned.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Q: Why can't it be done? Why can't anyone accurately recreate the "costume" used in the Patterson footage?

A: It's not a man in a costume ...

The image on the right is from a scene in an episode of X-Creatures. X-Creatures was a wildlife documentary series made by a production company under contract with the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation). The episode was filmed around 1995 or later...[continued]

http://www.bfro.net/news/challenge/home.asp

Physics news on Phys.org
Boy, when you put a guy in a costume side by side with the Patterson image you can really see how massive the Patterson creature is.

Good article, Ivan.

kinda funny-saw X-Files last night-Mulder was watching the Patterson film---but it started with two greys in the middle of the road,then this 'Saucer'lands and there's this wild moster--then one of the greys says, 'what the hell was that Bob!'
D if I know!...

anyway-i'd wear the suit for a $K--but i want 500 up front-
nobody's going to make a monkey outta me!

Zooby--what about those 'grey costumes'?
Can you do that floating thing?:)]
:smile:

I'm having problems with the links on that site.

There's a link that says "moving" under this picture that takes me to this page, instead of footage

Does that happen for anyone else, or do you get video of the creature moving?

I don't see the link that says "moving" at all. All I see there are still frames from films.

1. What is the Patterson film and why is it significant in the study of Bigfoot?

The Patterson film is a short video captured by Roger Patterson in 1967 that shows a large, bipedal creature walking through a forest in Bluff Creek, California. This footage is significant because it is one of the most famous and controversial pieces of evidence in the study of Bigfoot, with some believing it to be proof of the creature's existence.

2. What is the CSICOP and why is there a challenge to them regarding the Patterson film?

The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSICOP) is a non-profit organization that promotes scientific inquiry and critical thinking in the face of paranormal, supernatural, or pseudoscientific claims. The challenge to CSICOP regarding the Patterson film is due to their skepticism and dismissal of the footage as a hoax, despite lack of concrete evidence to support this claim.

3. What are the main arguments against the authenticity of the Patterson film?

The main arguments against the authenticity of the Patterson film include the lack of clear facial features or other anatomical details of the creature, the seemingly unnatural movement and posture of the creature, and the fact that the footage has not been able to be replicated or proven to be authentic through scientific analysis.

4. What evidence supports the authenticity of the Patterson film?

Supporters of the Patterson film argue that the quality and details of the footage, such as the muscle movements and footprints left by the creature, are too complex and realistic to have been created by a person in a costume. They also point to the fact that multiple witnesses have come forward to verify the authenticity of the event and the lack of any credible evidence proving it to be a hoax.

5. What are the implications of proving the Patterson film to be authentic?

If the Patterson film were to be proven authentic, it would have significant implications for the study of Bigfoot and the scientific community as a whole. It would challenge our understanding of human evolution and the existence of a large, bipedal hominid species living in North America. It could also lead to further research and investigation into the existence of Bigfoot and potentially other cryptids around the world.