Bigfoot hoax revealed but

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
A pretty good story about one definite hoaxer revealed. Long load so low speed users beware.
CBS News - rm format

One interesting fact from this clip: Jane Goodall believes bigfoot is real.
 
238
0
We needed CBS to tell us bigfoot isn't real?

How long will people hold to the possibility of bigfoot, thousands of years? Bigfoot is immortal, not because he lives or ever lived, but because he is just like Santa to a child. No disputing the existance of bigfoot will ever prove fruitful, he will never die.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by kyle_soule
We needed CBS to tell us bigfoot isn't real?

How long will people hold to the possibility of bigfoot, thousands of years? Bigfoot is immortal, not because he lives or ever lived, but because he is just like Santa to a child. No disputing the existance of bigfoot will ever prove fruitful, he will never die.
I have no strong opinions on this subject either way, but I was wondering, why do you?
 
238
0
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I have no strong opinions on this subject either way, but I was wondering, why do you?
Hm...I don't consider it a strong opinion, just a distaste for the foolishness of them, every culture has a 'bigfoot', they are all humorous.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by kyle_soule
Hm...I don't consider it a strong opinion, just a distaste for the foolishness of them, every culture has a 'bigfoot', they are all humorous.
The rewards of researching weird stuff [as a hobby] come in three distinct flavors: Thrilling if true, fascinating if mysterious, and completely amusing if bogus.
 
238
0
Heheh very true indeed!

I love the X-Files and naturally I have the poster that says

"I want to believe"

up on my wall, right next to my picture of the northern hemisphere constellations:smile:
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
15
0
I wouldn't mind tasting one of those things.

Anyway, my point was that there are real examples of the past popping up from nowhere. I suggest it is possible that some waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay-back type of hominid may be wandering about out there somewhere, and may be discovered by us eventually. I find it extremely unlikely, but unless someone here is omniscient, I don't see how it can be 100% ruled out.
 
238
0
Originally posted by Adam
I wouldn't mind tasting one of those things.

Anyway, my point was that there are real examples of the past popping up from nowhere. I suggest it is possible that some waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay-back type of hominid may be wandering about out there somewhere, and may be discovered by us eventually. I find it extremely unlikely, but unless someone here is omniscient, I don't see how it can be 100% ruled out.
I don't want to be argumentative, but do you really need to rule out such a claim?
 
15
0
Nope. Screw ruling out everything. Until a weird hairy freak crawls out of the forest carrying a sixcty-five million year old club, it's pretty much irrelevent. Same as all that god stuff. It's a superstition, a theory some people have, like ghosts and telepathy and other things. There's not much solid data, or none, so I stuff it all in the Undecided tray and forget about it. There are more interesting things to focus on, such as the universe we can observe and interact with.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Who am I to argue with Jane Goodall? I'll stick with the scientist on this one.
 

Related Threads for: Bigfoot hoax revealed but

  • Posted
Replies
4
Views
4K
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
6
Views
4K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
9K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top