Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bigfoot hoax revealed but

1. May 19, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A pretty good story about one definite hoaxer revealed. Long load so low speed users beware.
    CBS News - rm format

One interesting fact from this clip: Jane Goodall believes bigfoot is real.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2003 #2
    We needed CBS to tell us bigfoot isn't real?

How long will people hold to the possibility of bigfoot, thousands of years? Bigfoot is immortal, not because he lives or ever lived, but because he is just like Santa to a child. No disputing the existance of bigfoot will ever prove fruitful, he will never die.

4. May 21, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no strong opinions on this subject either way, but I was wondering, why do you?

5. May 21, 2003 #4
    Hm...I don't consider it a strong opinion, just a distaste for the foolishness of them, every culture has a 'bigfoot', they are all humorous.

6. May 21, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The rewards of researching weird stuff [as a hobby] come in three distinct flavors: Thrilling if true, fascinating if mysterious, and completely amusing if bogus.

7. May 21, 2003 #6
    Heheh very true indeed!

I love the X-Files and naturally I have the poster that says

"I want to believe"

up on my wall, right next to my picture of the northern hemisphere constellations:smile:

8. May 21, 2003 #7
  9. May 21, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. May 21, 2003 #9
    I wouldn't mind tasting one of those things.

Anyway, my point was that there are real examples of the past popping up from nowhere. I suggest it is possible that some waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay-back type of hominid may be wandering about out there somewhere, and may be discovered by us eventually. I find it extremely unlikely, but unless someone here is omniscient, I don't see how it can be 100% ruled out.

11. May 21, 2003 #10
    I don't want to be argumentative, but do you really need to rule out such a claim?

12. May 21, 2003 #11
    Nope. Screw ruling out everything. Until a weird hairy freak crawls out of the forest carrying a sixcty-five million year old club, it's pretty much irrelevent. Same as all that god stuff. It's a superstition, a theory some people have, like ghosts and telepathy and other things. There's not much solid data, or none, so I stuff it all in the Undecided tray and forget about it. There are more interesting things to focus on, such as the universe we can observe and interact with.

13. May 21, 2003 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who am I to argue with Jane Goodall? I'll stick with the scientist on this one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?