'Bigfoot' spotted in China: BBC News

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China News
In summary: with the changes brought about by humans... the stresses on the environment... that these solitary beings have gone one step further into obscurity and vanished completely.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
he sure gets around!

Originally posted by maximus
he sure gets around!

It's those big feet!

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
It's those big feet!

In Canada they're called "Sasquatch". This is the Firstnation name for them. The records of these "people of the woods" go back as long as the FirstNations have been here... around 10,000 years.

There's been sightings and recordings of their eerie call they do at night... its a really spooky sound.

its not unusual that they'd be in China. Remember the Yeti are related and they're found on the slopes in Nepal and Tibet. This all coming from records of early white explorers in that region. But, similarly, the locals have records of the hairy, large and loud creatures that date from the same period of 10,000 years ago.

So, what's unusual about this?

I suppose that because we have no specimen to google over, this species does not exist... right?

Well... then... the planet Jupiter is a hoax too! We don't have any specimens from there either... simple photos that could be faked all to jack****. So.. what are you tellin' me?

Originally posted by quantumcarl
Remember the Yeti are related and they're found on the slopes in Nepal and Tibet.

They're found there?

I think it would be great if we could find a new species that's somehow evaded detection before now...

Personally I yield to Jane Goodall - arguably the world's foremost expert on large apes. She believes that Bigfoot DOES exist. Who am I to argue with the experts?

Originally posted by Dave
They're found there?

Lets just say the Yeti has been sighted there by several upstanding explorers and climbers... not on any drugs... at managable altitudes.

Every night I see Jupiter... but still, I have no specimen of it nor have I set foot in its clouds... yet I tell everyone I know that its there and it is found to be surrounded by over 60 moons. There are no casts of its footprints, there is no catch of its hair with which to do DNA sampling (results showed a NEW SPECIES!). There are no stories from living humans about being abducted by Jupiter, as there are from living humans about the Sasquatch doing so.

Humans claim to have flown robots past Jupiter and taken pictures... humans claim to have filmed Sasquatch on the run... labouriously trundling off into the underbrush... experts have studied the film and declared it authentic... the movement of the creature is too realistic to be of a costumed nature. No one has independently declared the film of Jupiter to be fake or real... it is simply accepted as the real thing.

I don't know. Personally... I've only heard the scream... the lonely scream of the Sasquatch, (and the scream of the woman from Saskatchewan!)... out in the dense wilderness of western Canada... (where the next winter Olympics are scheduled for 2010). I've never seen them. I don't really need to. That would most certainly **** things up for them and me.

It may be that with the changes brought about by humans... the stresses on the environment... that these solitary beings have gone one step further into obscurity and vanished completely.

That is effective camoflage... its called extinction.

Lets just say the Yeti has been sighted there by several upstanding explorers and climbers... not on any drugs... at managable altitudes.

Every night I see Jupiter... but still, I have no specimen of it nor have I set foot in its clouds... yet I tell everyone I know that its there and it is found to be surrounded by over 60 moons. There are no casts of its footprints, there is no catch of its hair with which to do DNA sampling (results showed a NEW SPECIES!). There are no stories from living humans about being abducted by Jupiter, as there are from living humans about the Sasquatch doing so.

Humans claim to have flown robots past Jupiter and taken pictures... humans claim to have filmed Sasquatch on the run... labouriously trundling off into the underbrush... experts have studied the film and declared it authentic... the movement of the creature is too realistic to be of a costumed nature. No one has independently declared the film of Jupiter to be fake or real... it is simply accepted as the real thing.

I don't know. Personally... I've only heard the scream... the lonely scream of the Sasquatch, (and the scream of the woman from Saskatchewan!)... out in the dense wilderness of western Canada... (where the next winter Olympics are scheduled for 2010). I've never seen them. I don't really need to. That would most certainly **** things up for them and me.

It may be that with the changes brought about by humans... the stresses on the environment... that these solitary beings have gone one step further into obscurity and vanished completely.

That is effective camoflage... its called extinction.

I don't quite agree with the way that you said it, but I think we have the same basic objection. I don't object to the notion that videos, pictures, and stories are not accepted as scientific proof; but I think some do qualify as evidence. As you pointed out, pictures are sometimes treated as evidence, even a camera as a measurement instrument, but other times the skeptics cry "pictures are no evidence!" They are evidence! They are not proof.

To deny these things as evidence reveals a complete lack of objectivity on the part of the claimant. This position assumes that these things such as Bigfoot don't exist. This since if these things do exist, and we knew it, the pictures and such clearly would be viewed as evidence.

Many people confuse objectivity with closed mindedness. In fact, to be objective requires an open mind. Within this context, I would add that at one time the great apes were also thought by most to be mythical.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I don't quite agree with the way that you said it, but I think we have the same basic objection. I don't object to the notion that videos, pictures, and stories are not accepted as scientific proof; but I think some do qualify as evidence. As you pointed out, pictures are sometimes treated as evidence, even a camera as a measurement instrument, but other times the skeptics cry "pictures are no evidence!" They are evidence! They are not proof.

To deny these things as evidence reveals a complete lack of objectivity on the part of the claimant. This position assumes that these things such as Bigfoot don't exist. This since if these things do exist, and we knew it, the pictures and such clearly would be viewed as evidence.

Many people confuse objectivity with closed mindedness. In fact, to be objective requires an open mind. Within this context, I would add that at one time the great apes were also thought by most to be mythical.

Yes, they were considered mythical because they only heard of them through the passed along, oral stories of what they thought were savage and wild "natives".

The "natives" had no need of evidence since they must have made contact or had similar passes with the sasquatch. Their understanding of the community of that species was taken for granted... just as we take for granted so many things. Take TV for example. If an explorer came to us and asked us what the TV was... we'd give them the whole story about cathode ray tubes and cycles per second, electrons and studio magic.

If they held our status in low regard they would simply take our word and call it mythological... this would be reinforced by the fact that we could not show them evidence of electrons or TV studios full of cameras etc... because we are in our savage and wild livingroom.

The whole story could become a myth with in a 15 year period or as long as it takes one generation to be educated by the slanted explorer who found the community of TV slaves.

Sooooo, in the case of the explorers... back in 17 or 1800 coming across the community associated with the Sasquatch... the propensity for the misinterpretation and the loss in translation must have been greatly exagerated. Thus a strong foundation for the misconception concerning the "myth" of the Sasquatch was laid down and remained a staple view of the reported phenomenon.

As reported, the sasquatch is extremely private. Their not shy. They are private... They are used to escaping detection from the wariest of animals... such as the grizzly and the cougar. This takes talent and a lot of genetic programming that would be compiled over many many years.

They do not want anything to do with humans and they barely have very much to do with one another. This sort of strategy requires a lot of hectacres... we are talking millions of hectacres of wilderness to pull off. And with the amount of economic value placed on the contents of most wilderness we see today, it will be a wonder if the species still exists.

People wonder why there have been no carcasses found of the species. This is because they are intelligent enough to have created a ritual out of their drive for privacy. The whole lot of them will never be seen... dead or alive... if they have anything to do with it... and they most certainly do.

Last edited:
The whole story could become a myth with in a 15 year period or as long as it takes one generation to be educated by the slanted explorer who found the community of TV slaves.

I can name one fact turned myth in 30 years or less.
Crop Circles. Real ones do exist. They were studied by meteorologists in the 1940s. How quickly we forget. I wonder how many times humanity has lost and then had to wait and then rediscover knowledge. I think that cement making skills were even lost since the Romans of 2000 years ago; only recently rediscovered. Adding volcanic ash makes concrete much stronger and much more resistant to weathering than the stuff crossing the US countryside.

I wonder how long it will be until we no longer know how computers work.

Perhaps on a deeper level the Yeti, etc are merely ancestral memories of our mortal enemies, the Neanderthals? ;)

That would go a long way in explaining this crop of nonesense.

Originally posted by fando
Perhaps on a deeper level the Yeti, etc are merely ancestral memories of our mortal enemies, the Neanderthals? ;)

That would go a long way in explaining this crop of nonesense.

Yes I see ancestral Neanderthals all the time.
Please. You prefer psycho-babble over evasive apes or lies? I could believe that these are all lies or mistakes...but ancestral memories...? By what evidence can we assume this is even possible?

1. What evidence is there to support the claim of a Bigfoot sighting in China?

The only evidence presented in the BBC News article is a video clip that shows a large, unidentified figure moving through a forest. However, this video cannot be considered conclusive proof of a Bigfoot sighting.

2. Are there any other explanations for the sighting besides Bigfoot?

It is possible that the figure in the video is a person wearing a costume or performing a prank. It could also be a misidentified animal or a CGI creation. Without further evidence, it is difficult to say for sure what the figure is.

3. Have there been any other reported sightings of Bigfoot in China?

There have been some reported sightings of a creature known as the "Yeren" or "Wild Man" in China, which some believe could be a type of Bigfoot. However, these sightings are often anecdotal and lack concrete evidence.

4. What do scientists think about the existence of Bigfoot?

The scientific community generally does not believe in the existence of Bigfoot or any other cryptid creatures without solid, verifiable evidence. The lack of physical evidence and the many hoaxes and misidentifications surrounding Bigfoot sightings make it difficult for scientists to take these claims seriously.

5. Could Bigfoot exist in China's remote forests?

While it is certainly possible for new species to be discovered, it is highly unlikely that a large, undiscovered primate like Bigfoot would be living in China's remote forests without leaving any substantial evidence. Additionally, the habitat in these forests is not ideal for a large, bipedal creature to survive undetected.