1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Biggest Bosenova

Tags:
  1. Jan 2, 2018 #1
    I'm curious what the biggest size of Bosenova technically feasible. Is it possible to get into milligrams range?
    Thx...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2018 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

While I don't know the answer to your questions, others might wonder what a bosenova is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosenova

4. Jan 3, 2018 #3
    >"others might wonder what a bosenova is:"

It was the reason I posted this question to "Quantum Physics" but it was moved to "General Physics". Any question related to BEC apparently belongs to "Quantum Physics".. anyway thx...

5. Jan 4, 2018 #4

DrClaude

I don't see any reason there would be some upper limit, apart from technical difficulties. It simply corresponds to changing the collisional properties of the atoms in a BEC through a Feshbach resonance, so it could in principle be as big as any BEC can be.

6. Jan 4, 2018 #5
    Thanks for the answer ... does it mean that in your opinion to get into milligrams range is technically feasible? My question was not about if it is possible in principle; my question is - if it is technically feasible... What the biggest size Bosenova has been observed in the laboratory so far? Pls provide the link to the source... Thx...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  7. Jan 4, 2018 #6

DrClaude

No. I think that current BECs can reach 108 to 109 atoms, and I don't think that this number can be increased that much in the near future. You have to remember that BEC represents a metastable state: at the low temperatures reached, these atoms should form a solid block, so the gases are quite dilute.

I don't know what hoe big is the biggest, but probably in the 106-107 range. Scientifically, bosenovas are not that interesting, and I don't think anyone is trying to make large ones.

8. Jan 5, 2018 #7
    Thanks for your answer...

>"Scientifically, bosenovas are not that interesting..."

From what I read about bosenova, there are still some unanswered intriguing observations... anyway, probably because I do not claim to be a scientist it is interesting for me... ;o)

Thx....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted