Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biggest Full Moon of 2009

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

it's supposed to be cloudy here. :frown:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090109/sc_space/saturdaynightspecialbiggestfullmoonof2009

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2
    Here too, in the middle of a GIANT storm, with no thought of ending any time soon. I saw a beautiful shadowy, peeking behind clouds, low on the horizon moon yesterday on my way to work.

4. Jan 10, 2009 #3
    I can't even see 10ft in front of me because of all this snow. How am I suppose to see the moon? Screw you nature!

5. Jan 10, 2009 #4
    The weather was beautiful here, I actually saw the moon rising during sunset. Had no idea it was that big.

6. Jan 10, 2009 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Missed it :frown: so when is the next big moon?

7. Jan 10, 2009 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks clear out there now Evo. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking it out from my hill-top home.

8. Jan 10, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

My Eastern horizon is obscured by hills, trees, etc, but I just stepped out on the back deck to take a look, and man! is that sucker bright tonight! With all the snow reflecting the moonlight, the landscape is very well lit.

9. Jan 10, 2009 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want pictures!!

:smile:

10. Jan 10, 2009 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes. It is really large. Have you went out to look Evo? Now's the perfect time.

11. Jan 10, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I tried, Monique! The moonlight on the trees, etc is very bright to my non-dark-adapted eyes, but it seems to be just beyond the capabilities of my camera/lens combinations to capture. I have been lazy and miserly, and have neglected to buy a head for my venerable old Bogen tripod, so I can't do long exposures.

12. Jan 10, 2009 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's perfectly clear, and the moon is a beautiful golden yellow.

13. Jan 10, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

It's so blue-white here that it's like looking into one of those high-intensity euro-headlights. The shadows aren't as stark as you might expect, because there is so much reflected light from all the unshadowed snowy areas. This would be a perfect night to go snow-shoeing. Very bright, and 14 deg F with NO breeze.

14. Jan 10, 2009 #13
    I wish I could see it:grumpy:

15. Jan 10, 2009 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once went on a night hike when it was very cold and clear after an ice storm. The moon was like you describe. The ice covered trees made it seem you were on another planet. So cool.

16. Jan 10, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

When I was a teen, I was dealing with some fairly tumultuous times in my family (3 sisters, all younger and a year apart), and our little house got pretty claustrophobic in the winter. I'd strap on a pair of trapper-type snowshoes, and wander for miles on moonlit nights, just to clear my head and get some peace and quiet.

17. Jan 10, 2009 #16

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I going right now. See you all later.

18. Jan 10, 2009 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Bye, Don!

Preview of chat with real-time chatter....

19. Jan 11, 2009 #18
    I woke up extra early, just to get a glimpse of it. And their she is, in all her glory. Still a bit hazy, but just beautiful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?