Is the Unit Square Bijective or Only Injective to the Real Line?

In summary, the conversation discusses a bijection from the unit square to the unit line, and whether it is only an injection or a bijection. The function that describes this mapping is not continuous, but it can still show equal cardinality. The excluded points in the unit line are countable, and a "slide-everything-down-by-one" fix-up can repair any missing or duplicate pairings in the mapping.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Is the following (or, the following after any minor errors are corrected) a bijection from the unit square S=[0,1]X[0,1] to the line L=[0,1], or only an injection? If only an injection, are the excluded points in L countable?

[1] Let L be identified with the set of real numbers r, 0 ≤ r ≤ 1, whereby r is in unique decimal form 0.r1r2r3... , whereby any representation as an infinite sequence 0.s1s2...snsn+100000..., where sn≠0 & n≥ 1, is excluded, as it is identified with 0.s1s2...(sn-1)99999... (0 remains 0.000...)

[2] Let each point in S be identified with the ordered pair (a,b), with a, b∈L ,
a = 0.a1a2a3... , and
b = 0.b1b2b3... ,

[3] Then the function is (a,b) to c, with c =0.a1b1a2b2a3b3... ,
that is, if c= 0.c1c2c3... then for n≥1 , n, c2n-1=an & c2n=bn.
(or, to put another way, if a = ∑i=1ai×10-i & b = ∑i=1bi×10-i, then c = ∑i=1(ai×10-2i+1 + bi×10-2i)

(Corrections in the details would be welcome.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is a bit cumbersome to read without LaTeX tags, and probably also in general. Here is the Wikipedia page on Hilbert curves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_curve. They are surjective but not injective.

Why are you interested in your specific construction? I don't like decimal representations in this contexts very much. They tend to hide errors and are in my opinion far too specific to represent real numbers. How does your construction look like without the reference to a discrete representation of a continuous object?

Thanks, fresh_42. I am familiar with space-filling curves, but I saw this construction in a couple of posts (but not in a scientific journal, hence I do not provide a reference) which offered it as a proof that the cardinality of the unit interval and the unit square were equal, and on the face of it, it seems to work, but its simplicity raises my suspicions. Hence I am checking on this forum.

Perhaps my use of notation was a bad idea, hence let me describe the function in words:
(a) for a point in the unit square (a,b), take the decimal expressions (but making a caveat for the cases such as 0.0999... = 0.1000...)
(b) construct a point c on the unit line for which the odd digits are from a, and the even digits are from b (with the same caveat).
(c) the function is f((a,b))=c for all (a,b) in the unit square.

nomadreid said:
I saw this construction in a couple of posts (but not in a scientific journal, hence I do not provide a reference) which offered it as a proof that the cardinality of the unit interval and the unit square were equal, and on the face of it, it seems to work, but its simplicity raises my suspicions. Hence I am checking on this forum.
This is the standard example for showing a bijection from the unit square to the unit line. However, the function that describes this mapping is not continuous.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks very much, Mark44. That answers my question. :woot: To show equal cardinality, the bijection need not be continuous, so I am fine with its absence.

nomadreid said:
Thanks very much, Mark44. That answers my question. :woot: To show equal cardinality, the bijection need not be continuous, so I am fine with its absence.
It would create a contradiction:Continuous bijection between compact and Hausdorff is a homeomorphism. One of the nice obscure results from pointset Topology.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
are the excluded points in L countable?

[1] Let L be identified with the set of real numbers r, 0 ≤ r ≤ 1, whereby r is in unique decimal form 0.r1r2r3... , whereby any representation as an infinite sequence 0.s1s2...snsn+100000..., where sn≠0 & n≥ 1, is excluded, as it is identified with 0.s1s2...(sn-1)99999... (0 remains 0.000...)
The elements of L all have representations as terminating decimal fractions. As such, they are all rational numbers. The rationals are, of course, countable. So any subset such as L is countable as well.

With a little hand-waving, this means that the set of broken pairings in the described mapping is at most countable. This in turn opens the way for a "slide-everything-down-by-one" style fixup to repair each occurrence of a missing or duplicate pairing.

Dotting the i's and crossing the t's on such a fix-up requires tedious and careful work, but is not very difficult or interesting.

Thanks, jbriggs444. That completes the answer; your answer is as much "dotting the i's and crossing the t's" as is necessary. The notational details are , for my purposes, unnecessary.

WWGD. Thanks for that detail (which is why I wasn't looking for continuity).

1. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a type of function in mathematics that has both an injective and surjective property. This means that every element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range, and every element in the range has exactly one preimage in the domain.

2. What is an injection?

An injection is a type of function in mathematics that has the property of being one-to-one. This means that each element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range, but not necessarily every element in the range has a preimage in the domain.

3. What is the difference between bijection and injection?

The main difference between bijection and injection is that a bijection is both one-to-one and onto, while an injection is only one-to-one. This means that every element in the range of a bijection has a unique preimage in the domain, while an injection may have elements in the range with no preimage in the domain.

4. Why is bijection important in mathematics?

Bijection is important in mathematics because it allows for a clear and precise way to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two sets. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as in the study of functions, sets, and number systems.

5. How can you prove that a function is a bijection?

To prove that a function is a bijection, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. This can be done by showing that every element in the domain has a unique image in the range, and that every element in the range has a preimage in the domain. This can be done through various methods, such as using the vertical line test or using algebraic techniques.