Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bijections result when the function is surjective and injective

1. May 5, 2005 #1
    Bijections result when the function is surjective and injective.

How do I find a bijection in N and the set of all odd numbers?

f(x) = 2x+1

Do I have to prove that this is one-to-one and onto? Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yes. Can you prove that for all n and m in N, if f(n) = f(m), then n = m? (Just plug and play.)

4. May 6, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You would also, of course, have to prove that it is a surjection: that is, that if m is an odd number then there exist an integer n such that 2n+ 1= m.

5. May 6, 2005 #4
    You can get the surjection from the definition of odd number.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  6. May 8, 2005 #5
    Thank you for your help. I think that I need a lot of practice using the definition.

7. May 8, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Which definition- bijection?

8. May 8, 2005 #7
    Yeah. It's kind of frustrating to prove if a function is one-to-one or onto when one way of proving for one problem doesn't apply to the next. It's all about playing around with the definition and all.

9. May 24, 2005 #8
    What's the difference between finding a bijection between P(N) and P(Z) AND N and Z? P stands for power set (the curly P).

10. May 24, 2005 #9
    You mean a bijection between P(N) and P(Z) compared to a bijection between N and Z?

I've never done that kind of thing but I think if you have a bijection between N and Z then you automatically have a bijection between P(N) and P(Z) by replacing every element x of N in a given element y of P(N) with f(x) and mapping y to the resulting element z, which will be in P(Z). If you have a bijiection between P(N) and P(Z) then I don't think you necessarily can say you have a bijection between N and Z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?