Toni and the Bike: Physics Exam Puzzle

Plugging in the values, we get P=2625/5 which is equal to 525 W.In summary, the individual is going through end of year exam papers and struggling with a physics question. They provide a diagram and calculate the net force of the bike using the equation F=ma. They then attempt to calculate the power output of the bike using the equations P=Ed and W=Fd, but provide incorrect values. They receive help and the correct value for power is determined to be 525 W.
griefcrack
I'm going through my end of the year exam papers, since I figured I should actually make an effort at school this year, well anyway I'm terrible at physics and this question stumped me. Heres a diagram ( I drew it in MS paint ha, I even included a helmet cause riding bikes without one ain't safe. )

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9627/lolbikemy1.gif

While traveling home, the bike accelerates at 1.5 ms-2 over a distance of 25m as shown in the diagram.

Toni and the bike have a mass of 70kg.

(j) Using the equation F = ma, calculate the net force acting on the bike when it is accelerating.

(k) If it takes 5 seconds to cover the distance of 25m, calculate the power output of the bike during this time.

I think the answer for (j) is F = 70 x 1.5, so this gives me 105 N
Anyway I can't remember how I'm suppose to do (k) and my feeble attempts at doing it, gave me 13125 W but I'm sure that's wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
griefcrack said:
I think the answer for (j) is F = 70 x 1.5, so this gives me 105 N
That's correct
Anyway I can't remember how I'm suppose to do (k) and my feeble attempts at doing it, gave me 13125 W but I'm sure that's wrong.
What did you do to get this answer? Please show your work, as we can't see whether you're wrong if we can't see what you've done!

Thanks for replying so quickly, the other formula ( I think ) would be P = E x T and W = F x d, so I'm assuming W = 105 x 25 giving me 2625. Then P = 2625 x 5 giving me 13125 W.

griefcrack said:
Thanks for replying so quickly, the other formula ( I think ) would be P = E x T and W = F x d, so I'm assuming W = 105 x 25 giving me 2625. Then P = 2625 x 5 giving me 13125 W.

Your equation W=Fd is correct, and so is your numerical value of 2625. However, power is the rateof doing work, so your second equation is P=W/t.

1. What is "Toni and the Bike: Physics Exam Puzzle"?

"Toni and the Bike: Physics Exam Puzzle" is a physics-based puzzle game that challenges players to solve various problems related to motion and mechanics while navigating a character named Toni through a series of obstacles on a bike.

2. What skills does "Toni and the Bike: Physics Exam Puzzle" help develop?

The game helps develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and an understanding of basic physics principles such as motion, force, and momentum.

3. Is "Toni and the Bike: Physics Exam Puzzle" suitable for all ages?

While the game is designed to be challenging for all ages, it may be more suitable for older children and adults due to its focus on physics concepts.

4. Can "Toni and the Bike: Physics Exam Puzzle" be played on different devices?

Yes, the game is available on various devices such as smartphones, tablets, and computers.

5. Are there different levels or challenges in "Toni and the Bike: Physics Exam Puzzle"?

Yes, the game has multiple levels with increasing difficulty, allowing players to continuously test their skills and knowledge of physics concepts.