1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bike problem

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    I'm going through my end of the year exam papers, since I figured I should actually make an effort at school this year, well anyway I'm terrible at physics and this question stumped me. Heres a diagram ( I drew it in MS paint ha, I even included a helmet cause riding bikes without one ain't safe. )

[​IMG]

While travelling home, the bike accelerates at 1.5 ms-2 over a distance of 25m as shown in the diagram.

Toni and the bike have a mass of 70kg.

(j) Using the equation F = ma, calculate the net force acting on the bike when it is accelerating.

(k) If it takes 5 seconds to cover the distance of 25m, calculate the power output of the bike during this time.

I think the answer for (j) is F = 70 x 1.5, so this gives me 105 N
    Anyway I can't remember how I'm suppose to do (k) and my feeble attempts at doing it, gave me 13125 W but I'm sure thats wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's correct
    What did you do to get this answer? Please show your work, as we can't see whether you're wrong if we can't see what you've done!

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    Thanks for replying so quickly, the other formula ( I think ) would be P = E x T and W = F x d, so I'm assuming W = 105 x 25 giving me 2625. Then P = 2625 x 5 giving me 13125 W.

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your equation W=Fd is correct, and so is your numerical value of 2625. However, power is the rateof doing work, so your second equation is P=W/t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?