Ag Composition) of 5nm Au & 10nm Ag Film After Annealing

• Thread starter meemee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the atomic percentage of Ag in a bilayer film of Au and Ag after annealing. The calculation involves knowing the density and atomic weight of the metals, and using that information to determine the number of atoms per unit area and the relative atomic percentage. The person asking for help encountered some issues and is seeking clarification and assistance in getting the correct answer.
meemee
Hello,
Lets say I have 5nm thin film of Au and 10nm thin film of Ag. What's the Ag composition in %At (after annealing for example)?
How do I do such a calculation?
(

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
If the two layers form a single alloy film during the annealing process, then to find the atomic percentages you will need to know the density of the Au and the Ag films. You also know the atomic weight of the metals so you can work out the number of atoms per unit area which gives you the relative atomic percentage.

It doesn't add up

I did what you wrote but it doesn't work.
I took a bilayer of 2 metals.
for the two metals I multyplied: density*(1/Atomic Weight)*Na .
then sum the result for both metals and for each metal I calculated its fraction.
I got wrong result.

Please help me

What values did you use for the density and atomic weight?
How do you know you got the wrong answer?
What is the right answer?

Hello,

To calculate the Ag composition in %At (atomic percent) after annealing, we need to know the initial atomic ratio of Au to Ag in the thin film. Since we have 5nm of Au and 10nm of Ag, the initial atomic ratio is 1:2 (Au:Ag).

Next, we need to consider the atomic masses of Au and Ag. The atomic mass of Au is 196.97 g/mol and the atomic mass of Ag is 107.87 g/mol.

Using this information, we can calculate the %At of Ag after annealing using the following formula:

%At Ag = (10nm x 107.87 g/mol) / ((5nm x 196.97 g/mol) + (10nm x 107.87 g/mol)) x 100

= 35.3 %At Ag

Therefore, after annealing, the Ag composition in the thin film would be 35.3 %At.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of annealing in the composition of 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film?

Annealing is a process in which a material is heated and then cooled slowly, usually in a controlled environment. In the composition of 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film, annealing is used to improve the crystalline structure and properties of the film, such as its electrical conductivity and stability.

2. How does the annealing process affect the composition of 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film?

During annealing, the atoms in the film rearrange themselves into a more stable and ordered structure, resulting in changes in its composition. This can lead to improvements in properties such as strength, ductility, and corrosion resistance.

3. What is the ideal temperature for annealing 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film?

The ideal temperature for annealing 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film depends on the specific properties desired. Generally, a temperature between 200-400°C is recommended for annealing thin films, but it may vary depending on the materials and their thickness.

4. How long does the annealing process take for 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film?

The duration of the annealing process for 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film also depends on the desired properties and the materials used. Typically, the process can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. It is important to carefully monitor the temperature and duration to avoid over-annealing or under-annealing the film.

5. Are there any risks associated with annealing 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film?

Yes, there are some risks associated with annealing 5nm Au & 10nm Ag film. The high temperatures used in the process can cause the film to crack, warp, or even melt. It is important to carefully control the temperature and duration of the process to avoid damaging the film. Additionally, annealing can also introduce impurities into the film, which can affect its properties.