Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bill Hicks

1. Jan 17, 2005 #1
    I got a book on Bill Hicks for Christmas. He was a great comic. Is there anyone of his calibre today? Anyway, I just found this clip. Anyone not familiar with Hicks should check it out:

Anyone else miss Bill Hicks?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Bill Hicks is a wonderful cynical comedian, may he rest in peace.
  4. Jan 18, 2005 #3
    Think of me as Chomsky with *ick jokes.

- Bill Hicks

Ever noticed that people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved?

- Bill Hicks

When Jesus comes back to earth the last thing he wants to see is a cross.

- Bill Hicks

The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride... And we... kill those people.

- Bill Hicks

Gosh 42 you make me feel real proud of myself, every name you drop I have to googlesearch. :grumpy: :biggrin:
  5. Jan 18, 2005 #4
    Ahem, remember 'Ma Yau Yau'? I spent two full days at the library before you told me his name is really Yo Yo Ma. (Exaggeration alert :biggrin: ).
  6. Jan 19, 2005 #5
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. Jan 20, 2005 #6
    *puffs a smoke *sips some coffee

too bad his lifestyle killed him eh? ;)
  8. Jan 20, 2005 #7
    :biggrin: It's really funny, had I not read the "cross and Jesus" joke previously, I would have rolled off my chair. Still there was a certain uptightness in Hicks even when he was laughing, and sadness when he was not laughing, I wonder why.

The anchor is dead funny for a lawyer, he IS hilarious. I like his "I must stop you here" :biggrin: . Is he still in business? And how does he compare to Parkinson? (I have just seen the trailor of the show on Star so couldn't tell).

Reminds me of this meaningful definition of humour that I came across years ago: "Humour is the perception of incongruity". I think if one dissect the meaning carefully one can actually teach oneself to be funny.

Thanks 42, you are wonderful ^.^ :approve: .
  9. Jan 20, 2005 #8
    Yep, that's what I did and it got me the pink ribbon.
  10. Jan 20, 2005 #9
    I thought the bit about not understanding why Christians are against capital punishment was great: "If there was no capital punishment, there'd be no Easter". Great stuff. Apparently his final David Letterman appearance was never aired as he made jokes about the anti-abortion lobby.

Having watched it in slow motion several times, I think he was probably trying to stifle a f*rt. Hard to tell.

Gee whiz, I guess you'll be needing this then:
    I wouldn't go bragging about it though. I haven't seen him on TV in a while, but I think he's on the radio a bit (BBC Radio 4).

Parky is okay, but a bit on the genial/avuncular/needs-a-rocking-chair side. I dunno, but maybe the best interviewer these days is Paul Merton (Room 101).

Its about time somebody noticed :grumpy:
  11. Jan 21, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When it comes to comedians, Bill Hicks was Jedi. IMO, the only comedian in his sphere who's still alive today is George Carlin, maybe Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle.

As for his death, cigarettes weren't the cause, unless cigarettes cause pancreatic cancer.
  12. Jan 21, 2005 #11
    any medics in the house? medic?!?!
  13. Jan 21, 2005 #12
    :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: I DID NOT BURST OUT LAUGHING!! I REPEAT, I DID NOT BURST OUT LAUGHING!! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

Good God, that would give me a high-minded, mind-blowing intellectually intelligent deep-thinker a bad name, but I can't help it :rofl: .

*wipes tears off eyes* We don't have any such witty counterpart of Hicks in Hong Kong I am afraid, but we do have Stephen Chow , aka King of the Inane. Enjoy.
  14. Jan 21, 2005 #13
    You are the only person at PF who seems to like me... :cry: Are you sure you are intelligent? Or maybe this is a cunning ruse, pretending that you think I'm not full of solids, and then laughing in my face at the worst possible time, like Carrie in the film, er... Carrie. Try to cover ole '42 in pigs blood, eh? Git all yer frinds to f*rt God Save the Queen at me, eh? Well, I aint havin it, dagbladit! :grumpy:
  15. Jan 21, 2005 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awww, that's not true. You're well-liked around here. :smile: :approve: We just didn't know your ego was suffering due to us not voicing this regularly enough. Should we dedicate a thread to you and everyone has to say something good about you in it? Just be warned, if we start, we won't stop until we have you blushing crimson! :blushing: :biggrin:
  16. Jan 22, 2005 #15
    I promise you I am so intelligent that I think you are eye-battingly intelligent (as for whether it is more insulting to me or you I honestly don't know :rofl: )

And I promise you also I will not do that, cause I don't know the tune :rofl: .
  17. Jan 22, 2005 #16
    Sweet Baby Jesus, please don't. (Between the two of us, I was saying that stuff just to get a sympathy cuddle from Polly. That way I get to feel her boobies a bit etc through my pullover. I know I can tell you, as you are an expert in reproduction, so won't be as shocked by this as, say, Russ). Anyway, yeah, how about that Bill Hicks, eh? Sure was a laugh, all right. Yeah... etc.
  18. Jan 22, 2005 #17
    Yeah *sniff* I guess you're right. We're just too good for them. You're the only one here clever enough to agree with everything I say. :smile: And that's such a smashing pullover you're wearing. :smile:
  19. Jan 22, 2005 #18
    :bugeye: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: ...well, (cough) let's stay away from human anatomy cause that's the surest way to get me tongue tied....pleeeeeese!
  20. Jan 22, 2005 #19
    Sorry :blushing: I was only checking what kind of wool your jumper is made from :shy:
  21. Jan 22, 2005 #20
    It's a beige Giodano "Quality Apparel" size S, made of something artificial and very common but I don't know the name.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?