Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bill Maher's Religulous Reviews?

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    I am really excited to see this movie, it looks like a riot. However, it does seem like it's done in the same annoying style as a Michael Moore movie and bill mahr sounds a bit like a creep. Anyone seen it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8fPJ6zds8

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2
    Re: Bill Mahr's Religulous Reviews?

I cant wait. I love Bill Maher, he's hilarious.

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love Bill Maher and will surely watch this. But, in the promo clips shown on TV, just as with many of George Carlins jokes, anyone with some training in mainstream Christian theology can answer the questions posed as punch lines. These comedians are too much some times: Do they really think that no one has ever asked these questions before? They are appealing to ignorance as much as they ridicule the same.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

yeah I saw in an interview he defined it as a comedy, so he himself is not taking it too seriously.

6. Oct 7, 2008 #5

But hearing the theology behind speaking in tongues, for example, doesn't make it seem any less silly when you actually see someone doing it. And also, my experience has been that Christians frequently do not know the theology behind articles of faith that they hold. And some things that I've seen Maher mention, like angels that directly and frequently intervene in people's lives, are folk beliefs that aren't supported by mainstream theology, I think.

I certainly think the movie's going to be pandering to a particular market but there's still value in this sort of thing.

7. Oct 7, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I said mainstream.

8. Oct 7, 2008 #7

You've never been down south, have you?

9. Oct 7, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like it could be funny, but I'm not sure I'd want to watch an entire feature-length movie of Bill Maher's sarcasm. I think it would get old after about 10 minutes.

10. Oct 7, 2008 #9

It's mahEr...

Looks good. I saw him in an interview on the daily show, it was great.

11. Oct 7, 2008 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Bill Marh is a bit of a creep, but I don't see it as being the same style as Moore. Mahr is a comedian and intends to be funny. He uses humor to point out irony. Moore just attacks people in a mean-spirited way. I'm not saying his motives aren't similar, but the approach makes him somewhat less of a creep than Moore.

Also, I know it is just a trailer, but I didn't get the impression from it that he uses deception as one of his primary debate tools. If that's true of him, that also makes him less of a creep than Moore.

12. Oct 7, 2008 #11

The theologians responses are claptrap and you know it. I've asked several times serious questions about religion, and they either dodge the question, or their response is meaningless.

13. Oct 7, 2008 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I watched the movie, and it had a lot of laughs. The editing was good for the most part, but kinda immature at times. Nothing special about the sound, music or camera work. That's about all I can review without breaking Forum Guidelines.

14. Oct 7, 2008 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And for the same reason, anyone in mainstream Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Islamic or Jewish theology can answer any questions posed to them since surely, people have asked those questions before as well. Or at least, by now, they should have figured out how to BS their way through questions they can't really answer.

There are questions that have been asked of science for hundreds of years and most all scientists will concede that they do not have any good answers to many of these questions. Theologians, however, if Ivan is right, have the answers to all questions. That's pretty amazing, if it's true.

15. Oct 7, 2008 #14

People have this weird, distorted view that science needs to have absolute answers, otherwise it's unreliable. Trying to help break that distorted view, through personal experience, is a waste of time and energy.

16. Oct 7, 2008 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand all the hatred against Moore.

I met people from France this summer (many of them) and I asked almost all of them about their country, health, school and such. Unemployment being high was the only thing that was bad. Everything else they described was exactly as Moore said. He also never talked about employment, so technically he never lied.

I met people from the US, such as you guys, and also asked you guys, and it came out exactly as he said it. You get screwed on health insurance and you should not put your life on it because you can get rejected for trying to save your own life.

We can talk about the Cuba thing, but that's tricky. I can't see an American arguing against because I doubt there are many Americans that have been there. Canadians here go there all the time and there seemed to be nothing wrong what he said either when they went to hospitals or clinics.

Anyways, not to high jack the thread. (I'm not the one who mentionned Moore.)

Since I don't watch movies or TV often, I doubt I am going to see it.

17. Oct 7, 2008 #16
    No matter what it was/is, their God has been worshipped by many people, respect is needed

18. Oct 7, 2008 #17
    Tolerance is needed, respect must be earned.

19. Oct 7, 2008 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I want to remind everyone that you are critiquing a movie only.

20. Oct 7, 2008 #19
    I haven't seen the movie, but I heard that while it is hilarious at first, it kind of drags on, and the ending is kind of slapped together, because really, you now have to go back out there will all those people you were laughing at and realize that it's completely serious for them.

Why?

21. Oct 7, 2008 #20
    He takes everything to a conspiracy level. He's a poor man's version of Alex Jones.

Cuba has been known to skew their data, yet Moore still takes this data at face value because it supports his position. If it hadn't, he'd find some way to omit it and completely disregard Cuba altogether.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?