What can a science and engineering degree and inspiration lead to?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, Bill Nye's visit to Cornell included guest lectures in astronomy and human sexuality (not at the same time); an orbit around downtown Ithaca's Carl Sagan Planet Walk; lunch with prospective graduate students; and a public lecture March 8 titled "Everybody Talks About the Weather."
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
His stay [at Cornell] included guest lectures in astronomy and human sexuality (not at the same time); an orbit around downtown Ithaca's Carl Sagan Planet Walk; lunch with prospective graduate students; and a public lecture March 8 titled "Everybody Talks About the Weather." Now Bill Nye's legion of admirers are left only with reruns of his Emmy Award-winning television show, "Bill Nye, The Science Guy" -- although he says he will return to the campus periodically.

Nye, a 1977 graduate of Cornell's Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, made his last trip to campus as a Cornell University Frank H.T. Rhodes Class of '56 Professor March 6-11.

The weather, he told a packed crowd at Alice Statler Auditorium, is worth talking about. Take global warming. Few informed people would argue with the evidence of global climate change. But "warming" just doesn't sound, really, like a bad thing, he said, suggesting we should perhaps use different words.

. . . .

Climate change is not rocket science, he said. Last April -- four months before Hurricane Katrina -- he warned of the potential for a catastrophic 2005 hurricane season on TV news programs. "Am I a genius? No. I was just paying attention. And a lot of people aren't," he said.

One may not agree with his views on climate change, but this is an example of what one can do with science or engineering degree and a certain level of inspiration!

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/March06/Bill.Nye.cover.lg.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, I'm going to be Mk the science guy. On PBS and kids are going to learn how to do real fun. Blowing things up! microwaving! vectors and dot products! Stoichiometry! Burning off your left eyebrow!

I loved Bill Nye when I was a kid. We used to beg our teacher to let us watch them in science class.

I always hated that show...

I think he did a pretty average job in the Science Channel's "100 Greatest Discoveries in...", it bothered me a bit.

I was a huge fan of that show about ten years ago. Bill Nye rocks

Bill Nye as a aperson is a good guy, but his show was horrible. We wonder why kids have no attention spans.

Back in the 60's, I used to watch a program with my father - Why is it so? (http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/whyisitso/) - hosted by physicist Julius Sumner Miller. He had an approach to experimental physics like Feynman had to theoretcial physics - both very engaging.

I also used to read "How and Why Wonder Books", and two books entitled "The Way Things Work" IIRC. The latter books came with diagrams and explanations of various aspects of products and systems, from simple to complex.

I didn't care much of Bill Nye's program, although the topics were sometimes of interest.

How does one do a show about physics/science and capture the attention of members of an audience, or more importantly impart some lasting knowledge or at least some appreciation of the subject?

Did you know that Bill Nye narrates the pre-show "lesson" at the Dinosaur attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom? While you're waiting in line to get into the holding area of the ride, you can here him describe the bones and skeleton of various dinosaurs on display.

The ride, by the way, is a dark ride and quite intense especially for young children.

And oh, his shows are "OK", especially when he's doing technical/engineering stuff.

Zz.

I was more in the Mr. Wizard generation.

Similar with Carl Sagan. I like the technical/engineering stuff, but it's all the extraneous stuff that turns me off.

But then I like to sit down and read a good book on nuclear reactor or plasma physics theory or a scientific encyclopedia. :rolleyes:

Integra said:
I was more in the Mr. Wizard generation.
Is that the one with Tutor Turtle (http://www.toonopedia.com/tooter-t.htm) :biggrin:

Actually, I liked Mr. Know-It-All on Tennessee Tuxedo, and Mr. Peabody and his Wayback machine. :biggrin:

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Did you know that Bill Nye narrates the pre-show "lesson" at the Dinosaur attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom? While you're waiting in line to get into the holding area of the ride, you can here him describe the bones and skeleton of various dinosaurs on display.

The ride, by the way, is a dark ride and quite intense especially for young children.

I was on that one and it broke down - the car stopped moving, but the dinosaurs didn't stop. A mechanical tyrranosaur lunged toward us and came much, much closer than it normally would have.

rachmaninoff2 said:
I was on that one and it broke down - the car stopped moving, but the dinosaurs didn't stop. A mechanical tyrranosaur lunged toward us and came much, much closer than it normally would have.

Damn! I would LOVE to have been on that one!

Er... Sorry Astronuc. Didn't mean to hijack your thread to become another Disney thread.

:)

Zz.

Astronuc said:
Similar with Carl Sagan. I like the technical/engineering stuff, but it's all the extraneous stuff that turns me off.

But then I like to sit down and read a good book on nuclear reactor or plasma physics theory or a scientific encyclopedia. :rolleyes:

Is that the one with Tutor Turtle (http://www.toonopedia.com/tooter-t.htm) :biggrin:

Actually, I liked Mr. Know-It-All on Tennessee Tuxedo, and Mr. Peabody and his Wayback machine. :biggrin:

Nope, http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/watchmrwiz/watchmrwiz.htm" was live TV!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like his show (it's back, I think) and I applaud his science education efforts & pro-skepticism views. I also liked his past comedy show http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Live%21" .

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
Damn! I would LOVE to have been on that one!

Er... Sorry Astronuc. Didn't mean to hijack your thread to become another Disney thread.

:)

Zz.
No problem! I appreciate the Disney connection. :rofl:

ZapperZ said:

And oh, his shows are "OK", especially when he's doing technical/engineering stuff.

Zz.

Is there anything you don't know about Disney?

Jonny_trigonometry said:
Is there anything you don't know about Disney?

PLENTY!

<sobbing quietly>

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
PLENTY!

<sobbing quietly>

Zz.
It's ok Zz. You probably know more about Disneyland than I do and I live right around the corner from the place.

yomamma said:
I always hated that show...

:cry: :cry:

I don't really remember the show... I remember watching it in class...

What career options are available with a science and engineering degree?

A science and engineering degree can lead to a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development, product design, quality control, data analysis, project management, consulting, and teaching. Graduates may work in various industries such as healthcare, technology, energy, manufacturing, and environmental science.

How can a science and engineering degree inspire innovation and problem-solving skills?

A science and engineering degree provides students with a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. These skills are essential for identifying and solving complex problems, developing new technologies, and creating innovative solutions to real-world challenges.

Can a science and engineering degree lead to entrepreneurship?

Absolutely! Many successful entrepreneurs have backgrounds in science and engineering. These degrees provide students with the knowledge and skills to develop new products and services and bring them to market. In addition, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills gained during a science and engineering degree can be applied to the business world.

What impact can a science and engineering degree have on society?

A science and engineering degree can have a significant impact on society by driving advancements in technology, healthcare, energy, and other critical areas. Graduates may work on projects that improve people's lives, such as developing new medical treatments, creating sustainable energy sources, or designing more efficient transportation systems.

What further education opportunities are available after obtaining a science and engineering degree?

After obtaining a science and engineering degree, students can pursue further education in graduate school or professional programs. This could include a master's degree or PhD in a specialized field, such as biotechnology, materials science, or computer engineering. Graduates may also choose to pursue professional degrees, such as a law degree or MBA, to complement their technical skills and expand their career opportunities.