Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bill Nye the Science Guy

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One may not agree with his views on climate change, but this is an example of what one can do with science or engineering degree and a certain level of inspiration!

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/March06/Bill.Nye.cover.lg.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2

Mk

Yup, I'm gonna be Mk the science guy. On PBS and kids are going to learn how to do real fun. Blowing things up! microwaving! vectors and dot products! Stoichiometry! Burning off your left eyebrow!

4. Mar 21, 2006 #3
    I loved Bill Nye when I was a kid. We used to beg our teacher to let us watch them in science class.

5. Mar 21, 2006 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

I always hated that show...

6. Mar 22, 2006 #5

-Job-

Science Advisor

I think he did a pretty average job in the Science Channel's "100 Greatest Discoveries in...", it bothered me a bit.

7. Mar 22, 2006 #6
    I was a huge fan of that show about ten years ago. Bill Nye rocks

8. Mar 22, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Bill Nye as a aperson is a good guy, but his show was horrible. We wonder why kids have no attention spans.

9. Mar 22, 2006 #8

Astronuc

Back in the 60's, I used to watch a program with my father - Why is it so? (http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/whyisitso/) - hosted by physicist Julius Sumner Miller. He had an approach to experimental physics like Feynmann had to theoretcial physics - both very engaging.

I also used to read "How and Why Wonder Books", and two books entitled "The Way Things Work" IIRC. The latter books came with diagrams and explanations of various aspects of products and systems, from simple to complex.

I didn't care much of Bill Nye's program, although the topics were sometimes of interest.

How does one do a show about physics/science and capture the attention of members of an audience, or more importantly impart some lasting knowledge or at least some appreciation of the subject?

10. Mar 22, 2006 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Did you know that Bill Nye narrates the pre-show "lesson" at the Dinosaur attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom? While you're waiting in line to get into the holding area of the ride, you can here him describe the bones and skeleton of various dinosaurs on display.

The ride, by the way, is a dark ride and quite intense especially for young children.

And oh, his shows are "OK", especially when he's doing technical/engineering stuff.

Zz.

11. Mar 22, 2006 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was more in the Mr. Wizard generation.

12. Mar 22, 2006 #11

Astronuc

Similar with Carl Sagan. I like the technical/engineering stuff, but it's all the extraneous stuff that turns me off.

But then I like to sit down and read a good book on nuclear reactor or plasma physics theory or a scientific encyclopedia. :rolleyes:

Is that the one with Tutor Turtle (http://www.toonopedia.com/tooter-t.htm) :biggrin:

Actually, I liked Mr. Know-It-All on Tennessee Tuxedo, and Mr. Peabody and his Wayback machine. :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  13. Mar 22, 2006 #12
    I was on that one and it broke down - the car stopped moving, but the dinosaurs didn't stop. A mechanical tyrranosaur lunged toward us and came much, much closer than it normally would have. :surprised

14. Mar 22, 2006 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Damn! I would LOVE to have been on that one!

Er... Sorry Astronuc. Didn't mean to hijack your thread to become another Disney thread.

:)

Zz.

15. Mar 22, 2006 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, Mr. Wizard was live TV!

16. Mar 22, 2006 #15

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like his show (it's back, I think) and I applaud his science education efforts & pro-skepticism views. I also liked his past comedy show Almost Live.

17. Mar 22, 2006 #16

Astronuc

No problem! I appreciate the Disney connection. :rofl:

18. Mar 22, 2006 #17

Is there anything you don't know about Disney?

19. Mar 22, 2006 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

PLENTY!

<sobbing quietly>

Zz.

20. Mar 22, 2006 #19
    It's ok Zz. You probably know more about Disneyland than I do and I live right around the corner from the place.

21. Mar 22, 2006 #20
    :surprised :cry: :cry:

I don't really remember the show... I remember watching it in class...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?