Billiard ball friction problem

In summary: F-5F_{friction}}{5F}...be equal to the minimum of either r\frac{7F-5F_{friction}}{5F} or r\frac{7F-5F}{2F} where F_{friction} is the value of the friction you determined to be smaller than μmg.
ajcoelho

Homework Statement

This problem has already been discussed in lots of places through internet but none of them seems to be the correct answer in my opinion. So i tried to solve it and i'd like you to check my reasoning.

So the problem is:

If a billiard ball is hit in just the right way by a cue stick, the ball will roll without slipping immediately after losing contact with the stick. Consider a billiard ball (radius r , mass M) at rest on a horizontal pool table. A cue stick exerts a constant horizontal force F on the ball for a time t at a point that is a height h above the table's surface (see the figure). Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and table is [itex]\mu[/itex]

Determine the value for h so that the ball will roll without slipping immediately after losing contact with the stick.

Express your answer in terms of the variables r, F, [itex]\mu[/itex], and appropriate constants

Homework Equations

So I atched the problem only during the time F is acting! And during this time we have two forces causing torque: Fa and F!

So [itex]\Sigma\tau[/itex] = [itex]\mu[/itex]mgr+F(h-r)

We also know that [itex]\tau[/itex] = I [itex]\alpha[/itex] = 2/5 mr^2 [itex]\alpha[/itex]

Solving for [itex]\alpha[/itex] we get 5[F(h-r)+[itex]\mu[/itex]mgr]/2mr^2

To determine the velocity caused by the impulse (Ft) we have:

[itex]\Delta[/itex]p = Ft (where p is linear momentum)
This is equal to: m(v0 - vf) = Ft

Solving for vf we get Ft/m

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, to have pure rolling imediatly after the stick lose contact with the ball, at the instant t, [itex]\omega[/itex]= vf/r

Cause we already know vf, it gets: [itex]\omega[/itex]= Ft/mr

Now comes the part that I have doubts...:

From equation [itex]\omega[/itex]= w0 + [itex]\alpha[/itex]t
and saying that w0=0

then [itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\omega[/itex]/t

Cause we know [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex], solving for h we get:

h = r[itex]\frac{7F-5umg}{5F}[/itex]

I'm not sure if this is the correct solution so I ask you guys to help me with this.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer except that you should not assume the frictional force equals μmg. To ensure no slipping, the condition is |frictional force| <= μmg. That will give you a range of values for h.

haruspex said:
I agree with your answer except that you should not assume the frictional force equals μmg. To ensure no slipping, the condition is |frictional force| <= μmg. That will give you a range of values for h.

I'm not getting it... :(
What do you think i should change?

ajcoelho said:
I'm not getting it... :(
What do you think i should change?
Everywhere you wrote μmg, change that to Ffriction. Get the final equation into the form Ffriction = ... Then write that -μmg <= Ffriction <= μmg. That will give you a range of values for h.

Something like this:

h = [itex]r\frac{7F-5Ffriction)}{5F}[/itex]

?

Sorry for my silliness :p

ajcoelho said:
Something like this:

h = [itex]r\frac{7F-5F_{friction}}{5F}[/itex]
Yes, but now you want to use -μmg <= Ffriction <= μmg. The safest way is to turn your equation above into the form "Ffriction = ..." first.

So it gets:

5 F(fr) = F (7r - 5h)

and now i do the replacement?

5umg = F (7r - 5h) isn't it the same?

ajcoelho said:
So it gets:

5 F(fr) = F (7r - 5h)
Yes.
and now i do the replacement?

5umg = F (7r - 5h) isn't it the same?
That's not what you get substituting into the chain of inequalities I posted. How can it turn into a single exact equation?

Likes 1 person
Ah, I finally get the signs <= and => !

Thanks a lot!

But why should friction be smaller than that? And in this problem couldn't I use the equality to get an 'exact' answer?

ajcoelho said:
Ah, I finally get the signs <= and => !

Thanks a lot!

But why should friction be smaller than that? And in this problem couldn't I use the equality to get an 'exact' answer?
For static friction, μsN is the maximum magnitude of the frictional force. The actual frictional force, in a chosen direction parallel to the surface, can be anything from -μsN to +μsN.
in this problem couldn't I use the equality to get an 'exact' answer?
Yes, as long as you understand what that answer then means.
In your original calculation, you effectively assumed that friction is at its maximum value and in the opposite direction to the force from the cue. That gives the lowest possible h. To get the highest possible h you would assume friction is maximum but now in the same direction as the force from the cue. For some values of μ, that could give a value for h in which the cue misses the ball entirely. Likewise, a value < 0 is clearly not valid. So in fact there is one more step needed. Your final answer would be:
##max\left\{r\frac{7F-\mu mg}{5F}, 0\right\} \leq h \leq min \left\{ r\frac{7F+\mu mg}{5F}, 2r\right\}##

Likes 1 person
Could anyone explain why the acceleration is constant for linear and angular? Is that because the velocity on the bottum is zero?

Durdum said:
Could anyone explain why the acceleration is constant for linear and angular? Is that because the velocity on the bottum is zero?
There is nothing in this thread about accelerations. It is an impact question. These treat accelerations and the time for which they operate as unknowable. All we are interested in is the net change in velocity and momentum.

ajcoelho said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, to have pure rolling imediatly after the stick lose contact with the ball, at the instant t, [itex]\omega[/itex]= vf/r

Cause we already know vf, it gets: [itex]\omega[/itex]= Ft/mr

Now comes the part that I have doubts...:

From equation [itex]\omega[/itex]= w0 + [itex]\alpha[/itex]t
and saying that w0=0

then [itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\omega[/itex]/t

Cause we know [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex], solving for h we get:
h = r[itex]\frac{7F-5umg}{5F}[/itex]

I'm not sure if this is the correct solution so I ask you guys to help me with this.
Thanks a lot!

haruspex said:
There is nothing in this thread about accelerations. It is an impact question. These treat accelerations and the time for which they operate as unknowable. All we are interested in is the net change in velocity and momentum.

Thank you for your reply! Actually there is something here that is about constant acceleration, it is in the third part of the first post. He uses an equation ω = ω0 + αt. This formula can only be used when the acceleration is constant.
So I am wondering why we can use that equation. Why is the acceleration to be constant? Is that because it rolls without slipping? Thus the velocity at the bottem of the billiard ball is zero =) hence the acceleration is zero == constant?

Durdum said:
He uses an equation ω = ω0 + αt
You are right, I must have missed that originally. Although he/she got the right answer, the method is invalid. Should just use momentum and angular momentum.

What is the billiard ball friction problem?

The billiard ball friction problem is a physics problem that studies the friction and rolling motion of two billiard balls in contact with each other. It involves calculating the force of friction between the two balls and how it affects their motion.

What factors affect the amount of friction between billiard balls?

The amount of friction between billiard balls is affected by several factors, such as the mass and surface texture of the balls, the force of contact between them, and the coefficient of friction between the materials of the balls.

How is the coefficient of friction determined in the billiard ball friction problem?

The coefficient of friction is determined by conducting experiments and measuring the force of friction between the billiard balls at different speeds and weights. This data can then be used to calculate the coefficient of friction using the equation: coefficient of friction = force of friction / normal force.

Can the billiard ball friction problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the principles of the billiard ball friction problem can be applied to real-life situations, such as the motion of tires on a road or the movement of gears in machinery. Understanding the factors that affect friction can help engineers design more efficient and effective systems.

What is the significance of studying the billiard ball friction problem?

Studying the billiard ball friction problem can help scientists and engineers better understand the complex nature of friction and its effects on motion. This can lead to advancements in technology and improvements in various industries, such as transportation and manufacturing.