Can Quantum Mechanics Explain Elastic Collisions Between Non-Interacting Bodies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics of elastically colliding bodies without interactions, the use of force diagrams in analyzing such systems, and the absence of discussion on quantum mechanical systems. The speaker also raises questions on how to handle this system quantum mechanically, particularly with regards to fermions and bosons. The solution is suggested to be found in a textbook on quantum scattering theory, specifically the one by Sakurai.
LukeD
In my first Physics class (in high school by the way, a huge shame that i had so little before college), the first thing we talked about was the physics of elastically colliding bodies that have no interaction between them at all.

However, I've only ever analyzed such systems with force diagrams, never with Hamiltonians and Lagrangians. And I've certainly never talked about the quantum mechanical systems. I imagine that I could try taking the limit of a coulomb repulsion potential (of a system of like charged particles as the charge goes to 0 maybe?)

So how about it? How do I handle this system Quantum Mechanically? I suspect that fermions do this automatically (do they?), and bosons of course do not (which is a nice thing about them). But how do I do this in the case of distinguishable particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not something that can be explained simply in a thread.

The best answer can be found by cracking open a textbook that covers quantum scattering theory. The textbook by Sakurai is a good start.

What is a Billiard Ball Hamiltonian?

A Billiard Ball Hamiltonian is a mathematical model used in physics to describe the motion of billiard balls on a pool table. It takes into account the physical properties of the balls, such as mass and velocity, and the interactions between them and the walls of the table.

What is the purpose of studying the Billiard Ball Hamiltonian?

Studying the Billiard Ball Hamiltonian can help us understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as conservation of energy and momentum. It can also be applied to other systems, such as gas molecules in a container, to model their behavior.

How is the Billiard Ball Hamiltonian derived?

The Billiard Ball Hamiltonian is derived using classical mechanics and the principle of least action. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the balls and the constraints imposed by the walls of the table.

What are some limitations of the Billiard Ball Hamiltonian?

The Billiard Ball Hamiltonian is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as friction and collisions between balls. It also assumes perfectly elastic collisions, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios.

How is the Billiard Ball Hamiltonian related to chaos theory?

The Billiard Ball Hamiltonian is often used as an example of a chaotic system, where small changes in initial conditions can result in drastically different outcomes. This can help us understand the unpredictable nature of certain physical systems and how they evolve over time.