Billiard ball physics homework

In summary: Two billiard balls of equal mass move at right angles and meet at the origin of an xy coordinate system. One is moving upward along the y-axis at 3 m/s, and the other is moving to the right along the x-axis with speed 4 m/s. After the collision (assumed elastic), the second ball is moving along the positive y axis.The final direction of the first ball is determined by the direction of its initial velocity and the angle at which the two balls collide. If the first ball's velocity is in the positive x-direction, then it will move upward along the y-axis after the collision. If the first ball's velocity is in the negative x-direction, then
physicsss
Two billiard balls of equal mass move at right angles and meet at the origin of an xy coordinate system. One is moving upward along the y-axis at 3 m/s, and the other is moving to the right along the x-axis with speed 4 m/s. After the collision (assumed elastic), the second ball is moving along the positive y axis.

(a) What is the final direction of the first ball?

(b) What are their two speeds?

OK, I use two different for each x and y component:
x-direction: m*4=m*v1'*cos(theta)
y-direction: m*3=m*v2'+m*v1'*sin(theta)

Now I can cancel the masses, but still, I have two equations but 3 unknowns...

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsss said:
Now I can cancel the masses, but still, I have two equations but 3 unknowns...
There is a third equation you can use: Realize that the collision is elastic.

No matter what I do, I can't get the answer.(yes, I used conservation of energy as my third equation) Can I assume that ball a will move along the positive x-axis after collision?

physicsss said:
No matter what I do, I can't get the answer.(yes, I used conservation of energy as my third equation)
So you should have 3 equations with 3 unknowns.
Can I assume that ball a will move along the positive x-axis after collision?
Of course not! :smile:

Here's a trick to simply the two momentum equations and eliminate theta: Rewrite your x-direction equation to isolate v1cos(theta) and your y-direction equation to isolate v1sin(theta). Square both sides of each equation and add them. Use a simple trig identity. Now combine with energy conservation to solve for V1 and V2. (Then go back and solve for theta.)

In an elastic collision the the relative speed before the collision is equal to the opposite of the negative relative speed after the collision v1-v2=-(v1-v2)
I'm not sure how this applies in 2 dimensions though, could someone explain?

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a billiard ball after it is struck by a cue?

The velocity of a billiard ball after being struck by a cue can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The initial velocity, u, can be determined by measuring the distance between the cue and the ball before it is struck and the time it takes for the cue to make contact with the ball. The acceleration, a, can be calculated based on the force applied by the cue and the mass of the ball.

2. What factors affect the path of a billiard ball after a collision?

The path of a billiard ball after a collision can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the cue strike, the amount of spin on the ball, the speed of the ball, and the surface of the table. These factors can cause the ball to deflect or curve from its original path.

3. How does friction impact the motion of a billiard ball?

Friction can significantly impact the motion of a billiard ball. It can cause the ball to slow down and lose kinetic energy, which can affect its trajectory and the distance it travels. Friction also plays a role in the amount of spin on the ball, which can affect its movement after a collision.

4. What happens when two billiard balls collide?

When two billiard balls collide, the momentum and energy of the first ball are transferred to the second ball. The angle and speed of the second ball will depend on the mass and velocity of the first ball, as well as the angle of the collision. Some energy will also be lost due to friction and sound.

5. How can you determine the kinetic energy of a billiard ball?

The kinetic energy of a billiard ball can be determined using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the ball and v is its velocity. This formula calculates the energy the ball has due to its motion. The mass of the ball can be determined by weighing it, and the velocity can be calculated using the formula mentioned in the first question.