Solving the Billiard Ball Problem: Finding Work Lost to Friction

• Thread starter aldee11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary: The problem is trying to find the distance the ball slips. You can use an equation to find the distance the ball slips, but you also need to know the angle and forward speed of the ball.
aldee11
Billiard ball rotating and slipping. help

Homework Statement

A ball radius "a" and mass "m" initially spinning counterclockwise with angular speed w=-v0/a with a forward speed vo. The coefficient kinetic friction between the ball and the billiard table is Mu, [Given a,m,vo,mu]
Determine the work lost to friction while slipping using two methods (they should be equal)
W=-Ffs where s the distance ball slips not travels
W= delta Kt + delta Kr

Homework Equations

F=ma
Torque= I*alpha
W=v/r
V=vo+at
W=Wo+alpha*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a from equation F= ma where F=-Ff
Then plug in a to eq V=Vo+at

I also found alpha from eq Torque= I alpha
then plug in alpha to eq W=Wo+ alpha t

set V=RW i got T where the slipping becomes rolling without slipping.

The questions are
1. Can i use this t and plug it into eq X=Xo+Vot+0.5at^2 to find The distance the ball SLIPS??
2. If i can't use that equation, then How can i find the distance the ball slips?
3. In finding W= delta Kt + delta Kr, Do I have to use final angular and forward speed that i found from previous calculation or Do i have to find them?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?? I really need help

Please heLP!

nobody?

Sorry... maybe it's just me but I can't really understand the problem as you've stated it. Is the axis of rotation of the ball supposed to be parallel to the table? (The way you wrote it, it sounds like the ball is spinning around a vertical axis)

diazona said:
Sorry... maybe it's just me but I can't really understand the problem as you've stated it. Is the axis of rotation of the ball supposed to be parallel to the table? (The way you wrote it, it sounds like the ball is spinning around a vertical axis)

Its a billiard ball rotating on the table. If you ever played pool before, you know that once you hit the ball its both rotating and slipping then it rolls without slipping

What is the Billiard Ball problem?

The Billiard Ball problem, also known as the Newton's Pool Table problem, is a mathematical and physics puzzle that involves predicting the paths of multiple billiard balls on a pool table after a collision.

How many balls are involved in the Billiard Ball problem?

The traditional Billiard Ball problem involves 16 balls, with one cue ball and 15 numbered object balls.

What are the main principles involved in solving the Billiard Ball problem?

The main principles involved in solving the Billiard Ball problem are conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These principles state that the total momentum and total energy of a system remain constant in the absence of external forces.

What is the solution to the Billiard Ball problem?

The solution to the Billiard Ball problem involves using mathematical equations and principles to predict the paths and velocities of the balls after a collision. It requires careful analysis and application of Newton's laws of motion.

What real-life applications does the Billiard Ball problem have?

The Billiard Ball problem has real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and game design. It can also be used to model and study other systems involving collisions, such as gas particles in a container.