Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Billionare seeks understudy

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/01/magazines/fortune/b_newbuffett.fortune/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, it would be an interesting job. On the other hand, I'd be inclined to give away most the money since I don't need that much to get by. :biggrin:

I really wouldn't want to be a billionaire, nor would I care much for millions of dollars. I prefer to work for reasonable compensation, as opposed to deriving an income off other peoples' work.

4. Mar 2, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't mind having that kind of money, say for example if I won a ten- billion dollar lottery, or if I invented something like YouTube [sold for 1.6 Billion a couple of years] that was relatively easy money, but if it meant being "The Donald", or being a crook, I would rather die poor.

But if I had it, sure, I would give a bunch away, and for me:

Trip to space station
    Bugatti Veyron or similar
    Mig 29, private commuter jet, private helicopter
    Jetman wings w/plane, instructor etc
    Private Island
    Coffee pot that doesn't dribble

5. Mar 2, 2007 #4
    who said that job will make you a billionaire. it is still his money you will manage.

6. Mar 2, 2007 #5
    it wouldn't necceserely be fun with everyone banging at your door, first thing i'd do would be to move to an island with tons of supplys, then figure out what needed to be done. maybe hire someone else to be the billionare, really a pr person. i've seen people get out of control for small amounts of money, large amounts drive people crazy. :surprised

7. Mar 2, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've seen some idiot drink a bowl of water + 2 goldfish (live ones) for £100. Why do people still treat fish awfully on TV like they were not animals as well? Its like asking someone to cannibalise thier pet cat for petty cash. Crazy!

8. Mar 2, 2007 #7
    I would not have anything against a filthy large amount of money. I would simply spend it on contributing to the advancement of science. At this point of time, it would probably be to the research on avian flu division by WHO.

9. Mar 2, 2007 #8
    Ok, i don't wont to tell you what you can or cannot do with "your money" but i hate it when people get all "ideological" and say "i will contribute it to science". Trust me, enough money goes to scientific research and most breakthroughs don't need lots of funding to begin with. If you wanna get a lot of technological advancement, i suggest you start a war. This is the lesson that history has told us. If i were you, your money will be much more useful in setting up aids for underdeveloped countries. Try to build schools, try to give people an education. Leave the scientific breakthroughs for those 0.00001 % happy few scientists that are truely geniusses and brilliant minds. The rest of those "scientists" (like most of us) are just there to collect the bits and peices and make a very small contribution that may enhance some breakthrough technique (at best).

greets
    marlon

10. Mar 2, 2007 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Investment Guru Buffett Seeks a Successor
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7681881

11. Mar 3, 2007 #10
    Marlon, I do not want to tell you what can and cannot be done with money. However, I really dislike it when people think that science 'gets enough as it is' or whatever version of it you assume.

Do you know how many people are working with avian flu at the WHO? 12. That includes administrative personnel. There is currently a race every single year to get influenza vaccine out there in time. We are loosing that race. We are also loosing the race against H5N1. Why? Lack of resources, personnel, research funding and public and political awareness. Guess what can aid this cause? Money.

During the Spanish Flu in 1918, about 1/3 of the worlds population got infected and 100 million people died. That is what history taught us.

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20050701faessay84401-p0/laurie-garrett/the-next-pandemic.html
    http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/323/

12. Mar 3, 2007 #11
    OK, Ok, i get your point. Still, such research takes ages and cost billions of dollars. Most scientists working on such projects are able to contribute just a veeeeerrry small piece of the puzzle. Now, i am not saying this is bad but as an investment it is useless. You will never see the result unless you are "lucky" that someone actually achieves a big breakthrough. I am saying that if you wanna make the world a better place, invest in more realistic objectives like education, irrigation, basic health care etc etc

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?