Help with B&K Exercise 1.2.11 Pg 33: Bimodules and Endomorphisms

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, Peter needs help with PART 2 of Exercise 1.1.11 (Chapter 1: Basics, page 33) concerning bimodules and endomorphisms. Can someone please help?
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating (B&K).

I need help with PART 2 of Exercise 1.1.11 (Chapter 1: Basics, page 33) concerning bimodules and endomorphisms... ...

Exercise 1.1.11 reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3073I need help to get started on showing that there is a ring homomorphism from R to End(M) (where M is a left E module) whose kernel is the annihilator Ann(M) of M?

Can someone please help?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating (B&K).

I need help with PART 2 of Exercise 1.1.11 (Chapter 1: Basics, page 33) concerning bimodules and endomorphisms... ...

Exercise 1.1.11 reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3073I need help to get started on showing that there is a ring homomorphism from R to End(M) (where M is a left E module) whose kernel is the annihilator Ann(M) of M?

Can someone please help?

Peter

Hi Peter,

To attempt to do this problem, a few things need to be settled. You have an unknown, ${}_EM$, since it's not stated in the problem how $E$ acts on $M$. Let's make the following action: $e\cdot m := e(m)$ for all $e\in E$ and $m\in M$. In other words, $E$ acts on $M$ by evaluations. The action is well-defined since

$\displaystyle (e' \cdot e) \cdot m = e'(e(m)) = e'(e\cdot m) = e'\cdot (e\cdot m)$

and

$\displaystyle 1\cdot m = 1(m) = m$

for all $e,\, e'\in E$ and $m\in M$.

Given $r\in R$, the map $f_r : M \to M$ sending $m$ to $mr$ is a left $E$-module homomorphism. To see this, take $r\in R$. Given $m,\, m'\in M$ and $e\in E$, we have

$f_r(m + m') = (m + m')r = mr + m'r$

and (since $e$ is a right $R$-homomorphism)

$f_r(em) = (em)r = [e(m)]r = e(mr) = e f_r(m)$.

Now we can consider the map $\lambda : R \to \text{End}({}_EM)$ given by $\lambda(r) = f_r$. Try working with this and see what you get.

Last edited:
Euge said:
Hi Peter,

To attempt to do this problem, a few things need to settled. You have an unknown, ${}_EM$, since it's not stated in the problem how $E$ acts on $M$. Let's make the following action: $e\cdot m := e(m)$ for all $e\in E$ and $m\in M$. In other words, $E$ acts on $M$ by evaluations. The action is well-defined since

$\displaystyle (e' \cdot e) \cdot m = e'(e(m)) = e'(e\cdot m) = e'\cdot (e\cdot m)$

and

$\displaystyle 1\cdot m = 1(m) = m$

for all $e,\, e'\in E$ and $m\in M$.

Given $r\in R$, the map $f_r : M \to M$ sending $m$ to $mr$ is a left $E$-module homomorphism. To see this, take $r\in R$. Given $m,\, m'\in M$ and $e\in E$, we have

$f_r(m + m') = (m + m')r = mr + m'r$

and (since $e$ is a right $R$-homomorphism)

$f_r(em) = (em)r = [e(m)]r = e(mr) = e f_r(m)$.

Now we can consider the map $\lambda : R \to \text{End}({}_EM)$ given by $\lambda(r) = f_r$. Try working with this and see what you get.

Thanks Euge ... but ... just a simple clarification ... ...

You write:

" ... ... Let's make the following action: $e\cdot m := e(m)$ for all $e\in E$ and $m\in M$. ... .."

... which is fine ..

But ... then you write:

" ... ... The action is well-defined since

$\displaystyle (e' \cdot e) \cdot m = e'(e(m)) = e'(e\cdot m) = e'\cdot (e\cdot m)$ ... ... "

I am slightly confused as to how this follows from the definition \(\displaystyle m := e(m)\) since this definition does not seem to deal with \(\displaystyle e' \cdot e\) ... ... indeed, this seems to involve a multiplication of two ring elements e, e' and the action does not deal with this ... ...

Can you clarify?

(hope my question makes sense!)

Peter

Multiplication in $E$ is composition of functions.

Euge said:
Multiplication in $E$ is composition of functions.

Yes, true ... indeed ... so yes, that clarifies it somewhat for me ...

... but should we write \(\displaystyle e' \cdot e\) which looks like \(\displaystyle e'\) acting on \(\displaystyle e\) when it is a ring multiplication ... that is a composition of functions not an evaluation ... ?

Peter

It doesn't really matter. A ring is a left module over itself with an action given by the ring multiplication. So there's no ambiguity between $e' \cdot e$ and $e'\circ e$:

$\displaystyle (e' \cdot e) \cdot m = (e'\circ e) \cdot m = (e'\circ e)(m) = e'(e(m))$.

Euge said:
It doesn't really matter. A ring is a left module over itself with an action given by the ring multiplication. So there's no ambiguity between $e' \cdot e$ and $e'\circ e$:

$\displaystyle (e' \cdot e) \cdot m = (e'\circ e) \cdot m = (e'\circ e)(m) = e'(e(m))$.
oh ... yes, indeed ... well, that definitely clarifies the matter ... thank you!

Peter

What is a bimodule?

A bimodule is a mathematical structure that combines the properties of both a left and a right module. It is a set of elements equipped with two different types of operations, one for left multiplication and one for right multiplication, that satisfy certain axioms.

What is an endomorphism?

An endomorphism is a linear transformation from a mathematical object to itself. In other words, it is a map that takes elements from a set and returns elements from the same set.

How are bimodules and endomorphisms related?

Bimodules and endomorphisms are related because endomorphisms can be defined on bimodules. In fact, the set of all endomorphisms of a bimodule forms a ring, with addition and multiplication defined as composition of endomorphisms.

What is the importance of studying bimodules and endomorphisms?

Bimodules and endomorphisms are important in mathematics because they provide a way to study the symmetries and transformations of objects. They also have applications in various areas of mathematics, such as group theory, representation theory, and algebraic geometry.

Can you give an example of bimodules and endomorphisms?

One example of a bimodule is the set of polynomials in two variables with coefficients from a ring. An endomorphism of this bimodule could be the map that squares each term in a polynomial. Another example is the bimodule of matrices over a ring, with the endomorphisms being the usual matrix multiplication by a fixed matrix.