Adding 3 Binary Numbers: Is the Answer Right?

In summary, the conversation was about adding three binary numbers (101111000, 10111110, and 10001101) and determining the correct answer. The attempt at a solution provided the correct answer (1011000011) but with incorrect alignment and missing carries. The correct answer was later pointed out in the conversation with a helpful image. Overall, the conversation was ultimately resolved and the correct answer was confirmed.
kidi3

Homework Statement

Addition.

3 binarynumbers

+ 10001101

The Attempt at a Solution

+ 10001101

Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to align them to make it easier to evaluate. Also I think your carries weren't lined up either.

Code:
 +  10001101
---------------

Yes, I get the same answer.

Of course you can check your result by converting back to decimal

376 + 190 + 141 = 707

Last edited:
Well.. that's what i hoped wasn't the case...

My books says that it's incorrect.

It says that the answer should be

http://snag.gy/mjQzv.jpg

kidi3 said:

The books answer appears to only be adding the two numbers in the lines labelled X and Y and getting the sum in the line labelled X+Y. It's not adding three numbers.

kidi3 said:

Note that the image you posted SPECIFICALLY only adds X and Y. It does not include the top number of the three.

Yeah.. i just realized it myself..
well it only took me 3 hours to realize it..

but thanks anyway :)

The very first line is labeled with C to indicate the carries from column to column.

jedishrfu said:
The very first line is labeled with C to indicate the carries from column to column.

HA ! good catch !

1. What is the process for adding three binary numbers?

To add three binary numbers, you start with the rightmost digit and add each column, carrying over any remainders. If the sum in a column is 0, the result is 0. If the sum is 1, the result is 1. If the sum is 2, the result is 0 and a carryover of 1. If the sum is 3, the result is 1 and a carryover of 1. Repeat this process for each column until you reach the leftmost digit.

2. How do I know if my answer for adding three binary numbers is right?

To check if your answer is correct, you can convert the binary numbers back to decimal and add them together. If your result matches the decimal value of the sum, then your answer is correct.

3. Can I use a calculator to add three binary numbers?

Yes, you can use a calculator to add three binary numbers. Most scientific calculators have a function for converting between decimal and binary numbers, making it easier to check your answer.

4. What if one of the binary numbers has more digits than the others?

If one of the binary numbers has more digits than the others, you can add additional zeros to the beginning of the shorter numbers to make them the same length. This will ensure that each column has a number to add and the final result will be accurate.

5. Is there a faster way to add three binary numbers?

Yes, you can use a binary addition table to add three binary numbers quickly. This table is similar to a multiplication table and provides the sum of two binary numbers at a glance. However, it may take some time to memorize the table. Another faster method is to use the binary addition algorithm, which involves adding two numbers at a time and then adding the third number to the result. This method may take practice but can be faster once mastered.