Binary Gas Mixture Physical Properties & Local Viscosity, Diffusitivity

In summary: FredIn summary, the conversation is about someone searching for the physical properties of a binary gaseous mixture, specifically the local viscosity and local mass diffusivity as a function of the local mass fraction of each component. One person suggests looking under Transport Properties and provides a link to a calculator, but the other person is looking for an analytical or experimental expression. Later, someone mentions using mole fractions to find the mixture viscosity and asks if anyone knows of a similar calculator. The conversation ends with someone asking if the person still needs a calculator and the person replying that it would be nice to have one.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am searching for the physical properties of a binary gaseous mixture.

In particular, I would want to know the local viscosity [tex] \mu[/tex] and local mass diffusitivity [tex] D[/tex] of any binary mixture of gases, as a function of the local mass fraction of each other. I have not found nothing in Google,

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try looking under Transport Properties. I found a cool littole calculator that may give you waht you need:

http://grashof.engr.colostate.edu/tools/diffus.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, that's excellent! The species seem to cover a wide variety from fuel/power and chemical/process industries.

I'd love to get my hands on the calculator engine. :biggrin:

It could be very useful, but that is not what I am currently searching.

I am looking for an analytical or experimental expression:

[tex] \mu=\mu(Y_1,Y_2,\mu_1,\mu_2)[/tex]

[tex] D=D(Y_1,Y_2,D_1,D_2)[/tex]

where Y1 and Y2 represent the mass fraction of each component.

Last edited:
Fred! Your link doesn't work now. And I need urgently a similar calculator. Do you know any other?

Thanks!

mole fractions

Just use mole fractions

[tex] \mu_{mix} = \sum x_i \mu_i [/tex]

Where the mole fractions can be found by using the mass fractions and the molar weights.

Ooops. Sorry about that Clausius. I wasn't ignoring you. I didn't see your post. I hope you didn't get too much in a pinch. Do you still need a calculator like that old one?

FredGarvin said:
Ooops. Sorry about that Clausius. I wasn't ignoring you. I didn't see your post. I hope you didn't get too much in a pinch. Do you still need a calculator like that old one?

It would be nice to have one. Thanks,

1. What is a binary gas mixture?

A binary gas mixture is a combination of two different gases that are physically mixed together in a container. This can occur naturally, such as in the Earth's atmosphere, or it can be created in a laboratory setting.

2. What are the physical properties of a binary gas mixture?

The physical properties of a binary gas mixture include temperature, pressure, and volume. These properties determine the behavior and characteristics of the mixture, such as its viscosity and diffusivity.

3. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. In the context of a binary gas mixture, it refers to the resistance of the gases to move past each other. A mixture with high viscosity will have a thicker consistency, while a mixture with low viscosity will flow more easily.

4. What is diffusivity?

Diffusivity is a measure of how quickly a substance can spread or disperse in a given environment. In the case of a binary gas mixture, it refers to how quickly the two gases will mix together and become evenly distributed.

5. How do local conditions affect the physical properties of a binary gas mixture?

The physical properties of a binary gas mixture can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. These local conditions can impact the viscosity and diffusivity of the mixture, and can also affect its overall behavior and characteristics.