Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binary operation

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1

radou

Homework Helper

In the definition of a group on mathworld, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Group.html, it is stated that the group operation is a binary operation, and it is stated that elements of a group must satisfy the four properties, including closure. Now, the definition of a binary operation, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BinaryOperation.html, implies closure, so, isn't it unnecessary to talk about the property closure in the definition of a group?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean "isn't it sufficient to talk about the property of closure in the definition of a group?" It is not necessary to talk about the property of closure in the defintion of a group. But "not necessary" is not the same thing as "sufficient". Anyways, although it is not necessary, in theory, to talk about the property of closure, you are often just given a set S with a function * with domain SxS, and you have to verify that * is indeed an operation, that is, that closure does indeed hold.

4. Oct 7, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, I corrected that, I meant 'not necessary'. OK, I get it, it's more general, since we don't always know if * is a binary operation.

5. Oct 7, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is often redundancy in how axioms. The statements are usually made so as to appear as clean as possible. One can, and often does, define a group without invoking the strict definition of binary operation, and just takes it to mean some operation that takes two objects and gives a third without necessarily saying where the third lies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?