1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binary operation

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A binary operation is defined by:
    the set of 2 x 2 matrices with real entries under matrix multiplication.
    Find the identity element and the inverse.

2. Relevant equations

identity element: a[tex]\o[/tex]e=e[tex]\o[/tex]a=a

inverse: a[tex]\o[/tex]b=b[tex]\o[/tex]a=e

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that the identity element is a 2 x 2 matrix of zeroes with 1's along the diagonal. but how do i find the inverse b?
    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In general A will not have an inverse B such that AB = Identity. The brute force method is try multiplying a matrix with elements a,b,c,d with a matrix with elements e,f,g,h such that the resulting matrix is the identity. Find e,f,g,h in terms of a,b,c,d. The hint is that ad-bc is going to have to be non-zero for you to be able to solve this equation (because you have to divide by ad-bc)
  4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    so if i do this, i get:
    why do i divide by ad-bc?
  5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

'cause you're not done yet. You have to find the numbers e, f, g, and h in order to say what the inverse is for a given matrix A.

Here are a couple of 2 x 2 matrices, one of which has an inverse and the other doesn't.

A = [1 1; 0 2] (listed by rows)

B = [1 2; 3 6] (ditto)
  6. Oct 31, 2008 #5
    ok i see what you mean, i found e, f, g, and h:

Now, what if i had to find the identity element and inverse of a set of 2 x 2 matrices with non-zero determinant (under matrix multiplication).
    Does this mean that no such 'b' exists?
  7. Oct 31, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the determinant is non-zero (i.e. ad-bc =/= 0) then you pick your matrix (e,f,g,h) just as you found in your post. Hence in the set of all matrices with non-zero determinant, the identity matrix is the identity, and inverses exist just as you found. It's only when ad-bc=0 that you can't find an inverse
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?