Closed Orbit of Binary Planet System: Calculate Y-Velocity at (0,1)

In summary: No, I don't think it does, but I will look into it.Do you know of a website that would give me a good introduction to this problem?I don't know of such a website.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I have two planets of equal mass at points (0,-1) and (0,1) on my axes and I want to find the y-velocity of the planet at (0,1) that will make this a closed orbit. We can uniquely determine the y-velocity of the with this because linear momentum must be zero. Any ideas? What formulas should I use? The center of mass is fixed at the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In Newtonian gravity all two body orbits are 'closed' in the sense each body will return periodically to the same center of mass coordinates - if the system is bound. In general relativity no orbit is closed, because the system will radiate gravitational energy. Can you clarify this?

This is a Newtonian problem, I think I just want the bodies to return to their initial position after one orbit if you define an orbit for the body as crossing the axis it started with the second time. This is a computational (computer program) problem so I need the parameter to input into the program. Let me play around with it a little. I think maybe the problem is that the orbits are not bounded.

Last edited:
OK. I think I fixed it. I guess I was looking for a a unique solution which does not exist as long as the orbit bounded.

Good. They won't return unless the total momentum is zero so your computer coordinates are the same as center of mass coordinates.

My program automatically calculates the initial velocity of the second mass to make the total momentum zero.

Something I do not understand now is that if I make the velocity too, small the planets diverge as well. It looks like they are crashing into each other first (which the program does not realize) and then fly away in opposite directions? Does that make sense? Maybe it is just a fluke in my program? Maybe this is just a parabolic orbit and they do not really crash into each other?

Last edited:
If you make the velocity too small, then they will almost crash into each other. At that point, if your time step size is too large, anything can happen. And it's not physical, it's just an integration error.

That makes sense. But I don't know whether it is just a time step issue. Do you think this would not happen in the limit of small time steps? I think it might be that they really would crash into each other physically and as they get closer their velocities increase without bound since we divide by the distance squared. So the problem is that only the gravitational force is considered and not, for example, the electromagnetic force which would become considerable as the planets (and their atoms) collide.

Last edited:
Does your computer model include exotic electromagnetic forces? Have you considered what conservation of energy might have to say?

1. What is a binary planet system?

A binary planet system is a system where two planets orbit around a common center of mass. This is different from a regular planetary system where planets orbit around a central star.

2. How is the Y-velocity of a binary planet system calculated?

The Y-velocity of a binary planet system can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM(2/r1 - 1/a)), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the total mass of the system, r1 is the distance from the center of mass to planet 1, and a is the semi-major axis of the orbit.

3. What is the significance of calculating the Y-velocity of a binary planet system?

Calculating the Y-velocity of a binary planet system allows us to understand the dynamics and behavior of the system. It can also help us predict the future movements of the planets and determine if there are any potential collisions or disruptions in the system.

4. What are some factors that can affect the Y-velocity of a binary planet system?

The Y-velocity of a binary planet system can be affected by factors such as the masses of the two planets, their distance from each other, the eccentricity of their orbits, and the presence of other celestial bodies in the system.

5. Are there any real-life examples of binary planet systems?

Yes, there are several known binary planet systems in our universe, such as Pluto and its moon Charon, and the dwarf planet Eris and its moon Dysnomia. These systems provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of planetary systems.