Are there two maximal solutions to this differential equation?

In summary, the binary relation \mathbb{R} \times (0, \infty) is equivalent to \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R}_{+}, and the solution of the differential equation y' = y/t + y^2 is defined on this set. There are two maximal solutions for this equation, depending on the initial condition given.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

The binary relation [tex]\mathbb{R} \times (0, \infty)[/tex] which is identitical to

(as I understand it) [tex]\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R}_{+}[/tex]

this is supposedly the set on which the solution of the differential equation

y' = f(t,y) is defined upon. Where y' = y/t + y^2 (no initial condition given).

I find the solution to be

y(t) = (2t)/(t^2 + c)

Then I am suppose to find all maximale solution on the interval above.

the solution is defined as follows on -infinity to infinity for an initial condition

y(t_0) = x_0 where t_0 > 0.

Because as I see it in Maple the solution phase portrait doesn't pass through zero if x_0 > 0.

Then I draw the phase portrait with the above condition the it look asymptotic?

But if I make x_0 then it I get what looks to be the real line.

So please bare with me.

With these two differential initial conditions I get different looking phase portrait. Does this mean that I have two maximal solutions? for this eqn?

Sincerely
Susanne

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations y' = f(t,y) The Attempt at a Solution Since the initial condition is y(t_0) = x_0 where t_0 > 0, then the solution of the differential equation will be y(t) = (2t)/(t^2 + c) where c is a constant that depends on the initial condition. The phase portrait for this equation with the given initial condition will look asymptotic, meaning that it will not pass through zero. However, if you change the initial condition to x_0 < 0, then the phase portrait will pass through zero and hence have a maximal solution. Therefore, it can be concluded that there are two maximal solutions to this differential equation, depending on the initial condition.

1. What is a binary relation?

A binary relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of elements. It represents the pairing of elements from the first set to elements of the second set.

2. What are the types of binary relations?

There are many types of binary relations, but some common ones include reflexive, symmetric, transitive, and antisymmetric relations. Reflexive relations have every element related to itself, symmetric relations have elements related to each other in both directions, transitive relations have a chain-like relationship, and antisymmetric relations have elements related to each other in only one direction.

3. How are binary relations represented?

Binary relations can be represented in several ways, such as tables, graphs, matrices, and ordered pairs. In a table, the elements of the first set are listed in rows and the elements of the second set are listed in columns, with the related elements marked with a symbol. In a graph, the elements are represented as points and the relationships as lines connecting them. In a matrix, the elements are organized in a grid and the related elements are represented by a 1. In ordered pairs, the related elements are written in parentheses, with the first element from the first set and the second element from the second set.

4. What is the difference between a binary relation and a function?

While both binary relations and functions describe relationships between two sets of elements, a function is a specific type of binary relation where each element of the first set is related to exactly one element of the second set. In other words, a function is a special case of a binary relation where every input has a unique output.

5. How are binary relations used in real-life applications?

Binary relations have many real-life applications, such as in computer science, social sciences, and engineering. In computer science, binary relations are used to model data structures and perform operations on them. In social sciences, binary relations are used to analyze networks and relationships between individuals or groups. In engineering, binary relations are used to represent dependencies between components in a system.