1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binary relations/proofs

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2bu0x3.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know what the question means and all, and I know a lot of different proofs. But I really don't know which proof to use for this question. I tried starting up a proof, but I don't exactly know how. Would a proof by contradiction work for a)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, contradiction would work fine. Try it. Though it looks a lot like the definition of injective to me. What's your definition of 'injective'?

4. Apr 2, 2014 #3
    a function is injective iff its inverse is a function

5. Apr 2, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, then use that definition to construct a proof by contradiction. What's the negation of the right hand side?

6. Apr 2, 2014 #5
    What do you mean by right hand side, by the way, I get proof by contradiction, but I don't understand the logical expression, like if you were to prove A->B then the contradiction would be ~A->(~B^B), How does that apply here?

7. Apr 2, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Um, think I'm using the wrong word here again. I mean proof by the contrapositive. You can prove A->B by proving ~B->~A. The right hand side is B, i.e. the for all (x1,x2) part.

8. Apr 2, 2014 #7
    so There exists (x1,x2) in A^2 (f(x1) = f(x2)) ^ (x1 != x2)) -> f is not injective
    I am not sure about this part " in A^2" is it not in A^2 or in A^2

9. Apr 3, 2014 #8
    nevermind, I think I proved it, I get what to do now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted