How Can I Modify a C++ BST Implementation to Check for Duplicate Values?

In summary, the conversation discusses adding a method to a BST class that checks if a binary tree is a Binary Search Tree. The conditions for a BST are that the left child must be smaller than the parent, the right child must be larger than the parent, and there cannot be any repeat data values. The code provided checks for the first two conditions by comparing the root with the maximum and minimum values of the tree, but it does not account for repeated data values. The attempt at a solution includes two functions, "isBST" and "isBST(Node* r, T min, T max)", which recursively check each subtree to ensure that the BST rules are followed. The test data being used is a Binary Tree of integers. Further help
FMAfan

Homework Statement

I am working on an assignment in which I have to add a method to my BST class which checks if a binary tree object is in fact a Binary Search tree. So
(1) A left child must be smaller than the parent
(2) A right child must be larger than the parent
and:
(3) There cannot be any repeat data values

I think my code works for the first two conditions. What it does is check the root first against its maximum (right-most leaf) and minimum (left-most leaf) values. If that's true, then the method will call itself, checking that each subtree's parent is less than the right max value and and greater than the left min value.

However, this does not work correctly if a data value of the binary tree has been repeated.
I am completely stumped on how to also check for this case.

Homework Equations

bool isBST() --> sets initial min and max values to start check and calls second isBST method
bool isBST(Node<t>* r, int max, int min) --> checks to see if the < > rules have been followed

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
//******************************************************************
// Function name: isBST
//*******************************************************************
template <class T>
bool BST<T> :: isBST() {
	Node<T>* seekerL = root,
		   * seekerR = root;
	T minimum,
	  maximum;

if(!seekerL) { // if the tree is empty return true
		return true;
	} else { // find the left and right min and max values of the tree
		while(seekerL) {
			minimum = seekerL->key;
			seekerL = seekerL->left;
		}

while(seekerR) {
			maximum = seekerR->key;
			seekerR = seekerR->right;
		}
	}

// check that the tree and its subtrees follow the BST rules
	return isBST(root, minimum , maximum);
} // end isBST

//******************************************************************
// Function name: isBST
//*******************************************************************
template <class T>
bool BST<T> :: isBST(Node<T>* r, T min, T max) {
	Node<T> *parent = r;

// if the parent has no children a leaf node has been reached
	if(!parent) {
		return true;
	}

// if parent does not fall inbetween max or min return false
	if (parent->key < min || parent->key > max) {
		return false;
	}

// else keep checking each subtree until rule is broken or tree is BST
	return (isBST(parent->left, min, parent->key) && isBST(parent->right, parent->key+1, max)); 
} // end isBST

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edit: Oh and the test data/key I am using is a Binary Tree of integers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I think I may have figured out another way to check my tree.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your BST assignment. It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic rules for a BST and have implemented a solid solution for checking the first two conditions. However, you are correct in that your current solution does not account for repeated data values.

One way to handle this case would be to keep track of the values that have already been seen in the tree and check against that list as you traverse the tree. This could be done by creating a set or map data structure and adding each value to it as you traverse the tree. If a value is already in the set, then you know that the tree is not a valid BST.

Another approach could be to modify your current solution to keep track of the minimum and maximum values for each subtree as you traverse the tree. This way, if a repeated value is encountered, you can compare it to the minimum and maximum values for that subtree and determine if it follows the BST rules.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment!

What is a Binary Search Tree?

A Binary Search Tree (BST) is a type of data structure used to organize data in a hierarchical manner. It is a special type of binary tree in which the left child of a node is always less than the parent node, and the right child is always greater than the parent node.

How do you implement a Binary Search Tree in C++?

To implement a Binary Search Tree in C++, you first need to define a structure for the nodes of the tree. This structure should include data to be stored in each node, and pointers to the left and right child nodes. Then, you can create functions to insert, delete, and search for nodes in the tree using recursive algorithms.

What is the time complexity of Binary Search Tree operations?

The time complexity of operations on a Binary Search Tree depends on the height of the tree. If the tree is balanced, the time complexity for operations such as insert, delete, and search is O(log n), where n is the number of nodes in the tree. However, if the tree is unbalanced, the time complexity can be as high as O(n).

How do you check if a Binary Search Tree is balanced?

To check if a Binary Search Tree is balanced, you can use a recursive function that calculates the height of the left and right subtrees of each node. If the absolute difference between the heights is greater than 1, then the tree is unbalanced.

Can a Binary Search Tree contain duplicate values?

Yes, a Binary Search Tree can contain duplicate values. However, the placement of these values will depend on the implementation. Some implementations may allow duplicate values in the tree, while others may not.