1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binary Star Analysis

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We observe a binary system in which the two stars are 1 and 2 arc sec, respectively, from the center of mass. The system is 10pc from us. The period is 33 yr. What are the masses of the two stars, assuming that i=90 degrees?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to derive an equation for the masses based on what we know, so here goes.

Based on a simple sketch of the system, we know mara = mbrb.

We can label the distance between the two stars r = ra + rb

re-arranging and substituting yields mara = mb(r-ra)

Then ra = mbr/ma + mb = mbr/M where M = ma + mb

Now, force of Gravity must equal centripetal force in this binary system, so Gmamb/r2 = mava2/ra

since v = d/t, va = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]ra/T where T is the period.

re-arranging once again yields ra = GmbT2/4r2[tex]\pi[/tex]2

subbing in from our equation for ra yields M = 4r3[tex]\pi[/tex]2/GT2

Now we have an equation for the total mass of the system, but I need individual masses.

Can anyone confirm my equation? Am I on the right track? Where does the inclination of the system come in? Is it just for an assumption? Likewise, where does the system distance d away from us come into play? Am I missing something here? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted