Binary Star Analysis: Mass Calculation from 10pc, 33yr Period, i=90°

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a binary system and attempts to derive an equation for the masses of the stars based on known information such as distance, period, and inclination angle. The derived equation is correct for an inclination angle of 90 degrees, but would need to be modified for different angles. The distance from us does not affect the calculation, and Kepler's Third Law is needed to solve for the individual masses.
CaptainEvil

Homework Statement

We observe a binary system in which the two stars are 1 and 2 arc sec, respectively, from the center of mass. The system is 10pc from us. The period is 33 yr. What are the masses of the two stars, assuming that i=90 degrees?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to derive an equation for the masses based on what we know, so here goes.

Based on a simple sketch of the system, we know mara = mbrb.

We can label the distance between the two stars r = ra + rb

re-arranging and substituting yields mara = mb(r-ra)

Then ra = mbr/ma + mb = mbr/M where M = ma + mb

Now, force of Gravity must equal centripetal force in this binary system, so Gmamb/r2 = mava2/ra

since v = d/t, va = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]ra/T where T is the period.

re-arranging once again yields ra = GmbT2/4r2[tex]\pi[/tex]2

subbing in from our equation for ra yields M = 4r3[tex]\pi[/tex]2/GT2

Now we have an equation for the total mass of the system, but I need individual masses.

Can anyone confirm my equation? Am I on the right track? Where does the inclination of the system come in? Is it just for an assumption? Likewise, where does the system distance d away from us come into play? Am I missing something here? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first like to commend you on your attempt at deriving an equation for the masses of the two stars in the binary system. Your approach seems to be on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, the formula you have derived for the total mass of the system is correct, assuming that the inclination angle (i) is indeed 90 degrees. This is because when i=90 degrees, the distance between the two stars (r) is equal to the distance between the center of mass and one of the stars (ra or rb). However, if the inclination angle is different, the formula would need to be modified accordingly.

Secondly, the distance of the system from us (d) does not come into play in this equation. This is because the distance between the two stars (r) is already taken into account in the formula. The distance from us only affects the apparent separation between the stars, but not their actual masses.

Lastly, in order to solve for the individual masses, you would need to have another equation that relates the period of the binary system to the individual masses of the stars. This equation is known as Kepler's Third Law and states that the square of the period of a binary system is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis (a) of the orbit, which is related to the individual masses of the stars.

Hope this helps clarify your approach and good luck with your calculations!

1. How is the mass of a binary star system calculated?

The mass of a binary star system can be calculated using the formula M = a^3/P^2, where M is the total mass of the system, a is the distance between the stars, and P is the orbital period.

2. What is the significance of the distance and period used in the calculation?

The distance between the stars and the orbital period are important factors in determining the mass of a binary star system because they directly impact the strength of the gravitational force between the stars, which is the main factor in calculating their mass.

3. Why is an inclination angle of 90 degrees used in this analysis?

An inclination angle of 90 degrees means that the orbital plane of the binary stars is perpendicular to our line of sight. This allows for more accurate measurements of the orbital period and distance, which are crucial in calculating the mass of the system.

4. What is the significance of using a distance of 10pc in this analysis?

The distance of 10pc (parsec) is commonly used in astronomical calculations because it is equivalent to approximately 32.6 light years and is a convenient unit for measuring distances within our galaxy. In this case, it also allows for a more accurate calculation of the mass of the binary star system.

5. What other factors can affect the accuracy of the mass calculation in a binary star system?

Other factors that can affect the accuracy of the mass calculation in a binary star system include the presence of a third companion star, the eccentricity of the stars' orbits, and the presence of orbital motion due to the gravitational influence of other nearby objects.