1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binary stars question

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://prntscr.com/dsd7ea

Image attached
    2. Relevant equations
    For circular orbit, r = Pv / 2 pi , Where P = orbital period and v=orbital velocity

r' = r sini , where i is unknown angle to plane of sky.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really not getting these binary problems at all.

I would start by finding v, but how is this from them "the observed maximum velocity shift of 26.1 km/s" ?
    Then I would use r = Pv / 2 pi , and the separation would just be 2r as they are identical stars, is this right?
    I don't know where to start with the angle of inclination part.

Also, in my notes, talking about binaries in general, it says that r1 + r2 = a
    I think that's r1= radius of star 1, r2 = radius of star 2, a = true semi-major orbital axis, but I don't understand this, how could the 2 radii total the semi-major axis? Surely it would be 2a if anything?
    And talking about the semi-major axis, does the system actually have a semi-major axis? I thought there was just one for each star.

Really lost here, any help would be appreicated, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to consider the masses of the stars to get the orbital velocity. The period and the radial velocity alone are not sufficient.

You can consider the semi-major axis of each star, or the semi-major axis of the distance between the stars. But for a circular orbit with identical masses, you can just take the radius of the circle as semi-major axis of each star. This is NOT the distance between the stars!

4. Jan 6, 2017 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try using Kepler's third law to find ##a##.

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4
    Thanks guys, it was Kepler's 3rd that I needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted