Binaural tone brain entrainment

• Thread starter MJay82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, binaural beats are said to help the brain enter a gamma state, but there's some concern that they may have a minimal or no effect. Some people also worry about the potential for brain damage if you're in an alpha state when you're studying. There are also some games that you can play to stimulate your brain.
MJay82
I've been interested recently in using binaural tones to induce brain states conducive to studying. I went and bought a 30 minute binaural beat off of Amazon for a dollar which is supposed to help the brain enter a gamma state.

I've got a friend who is a musician in the realm of electronic, and he's pretty up on the idea of brain entrainment, although I'm unsure whether or not he does use it himself.

I also have a friend that is a classically trained cellist, and her concern is with regard to its affect on hearing.

One fear of mine comes from the realm of something like Zen Buddhism or Chi Kung, where one of the main purported benefits is an ability to manually effect the state of the brain. I feel like our brains are capable of so much more than we give them credit, and as such am afraid that binaural tones could weaken my brain's natural ability to enter into certain states. But I'm not sure - I haven't read much of the science on it yet - after this semester's over seems like a good time for that.

I'd love to hear differing opinions, insights, or stories from experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool link - thanks.

I feel that there are probably beneficial uses for all the different measurable brain frequencies - and didn't figure alpha waves would have any bearing on improved cognition. But as this article points out, it COULD be negative to be in alpha states when trying to study. Therefore, it would be beneficial to remove yourself from an alpha state, into a beta or gamma state.

I can speak at least to one thing: there will be no hearing damage for your friend, and if you find that your performance is lower while studying... turn it off. :tongue:

This is a pretty easy and harmless thing to play with, but personally I think our brains do exactly what they're supposed to most of the time. I realize that sounds trite, but the notion of "training" the brain as some major life-changing or cognition-changing power seems unsupported.

I doubt you could find a more salutary effect than listening to Mozart.. and that's free and pleasant to hear.

MJay82 said:
induce brain states conducive to studying.

Hey MJay82,

Welcome to PF, you might be interested in the work of Dr Michael Merzenich, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=422276", and IHMO has one of the most sound foundations in how we are able to learn, the underpinning neurology if you will based on hard work, and solidly recognized science. See what you think.

Rhody... :cool:

P.S. There are some cool brain exercise games here as well, for free, give them a look.

Did I just kill this thread or what, by taking it OUT of the S&D realm, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhody said:
Did I just kill this thread or what, by taking it OUT of the S&D realm, lol.

S&D is for fact finding and context, not prejudgment or popular opinions. :smile:

I will say this: there isn't enough research or clear results to make this something to be debunked right now... I have no problem with learning about the "I believe" end of things. We're not talking about dragons here, but something devilishly subtle: intelligence, capacity to function, and the brain... not a clear thing at all.

Personally my GUT is that binaural tones have a brief and probably negligable effect which doesn't cross-over with what people expect or want. It's my gut though, not studies I can point to and laugh.

Personally, I expect breakthroughs at the LHC decades before we have the level of understanding to do more than be skeptical here.

Remember, TCMI is such a powerful new tool, that when it comes to tweaking the brain why not use the "temporary lesion machine" instead of running the long way through some notion of syncopated tones.

I still enjoyed your links rhody, as I occasionally try these things just for personal edification and fun.

I use these things a lot and they help me study all the time, but i think of them as the perfect placebos, it's just music that is convenient for the particular tasks and at the effects are temporary at best,, I don't think that they can enhance the brain in profound ways the way they advertise it,, if someone was able to clearly and decisively increase people's intelligence in a measurable way, he would be god like.

MJay82 said:
I've been interested recently in using binaural tones to induce brain states conducive to studying. I went and bought a 30 minute binaural beat off of Amazon for a dollar which is supposed to help the brain enter a gamma state.

I've got a friend who is a musician in the realm of electronic, and he's pretty up on the idea of brain entrainment, although I'm unsure whether or not he does use it himself.

I also have a friend that is a classically trained cellist, and her concern is with regard to its affect on hearing.

One fear of mine comes from the realm of something like Zen Buddhism or Chi Kung, where one of the main purported benefits is an ability to manually effect the state of the brain. I feel like our brains are capable of so much more than we give them credit, and as such am afraid that binaural tones could weaken my brain's natural ability to enter into certain states. But I'm not sure - I haven't read much of the science on it yet - after this semester's over seems like a good time for that.

I'm pretty skeptical, really skeptical and I'm telling you right now listening to things like Mozart and Bach are conducive to studying and have been shown to increase brain waves however it's only WHILE you're listening to it. It's not going to make you smarter in the long run, like playing mozart to your baby isn't going to make him a genius but if you listen to music it will help you focus while you're studying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect

Read the first bullet point that's what it really does the other 2 are unproven it's not going to make you a genius and it's not going to cure your fever also that page tells more about the researcher and if you can't find the study post back I'll look harder.

SpeedOfDark said:
I'm pretty skeptical, really skeptical and I'm telling you right now listening to things like Mozart and Bach are conducive to studying and have been shown to increase brain waves however it's only WHILE you're listening to it. It's not going to make you smarter in the long run, like playing mozart to your baby isn't going to make him a genius but if you listen to music it will help you focus while you're studying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect

Read the first bullet point that's what it really does the other 2 are unproven it's not going to make you a genius and it's not going to cure your fever also that page tells more about the researcher and if you can't find the study post back I'll look harder.

Well, to be fair there seems to be up to a 20 minute benefit after listening to Mozart. Like you, I'm skeptical of any claim to massively control and manipulate a system (the brain) that is not understood that well. Great inroads have been made, but not "listen to this and be cured". Still, soothing sounds, suggestions, and the belief that you're taking medicine = placebo heaven. No adverse effects... well... the wallet may experience sudden weight-loss.

nismaratwork said:
Well, to be fair there seems to be up to a 20 minute benefit after listening to Mozart. Like you, I'm skeptical of any claim to massively control and manipulate a system (the brain) that is not understood that well. Great inroads have been made, but not "listen to this and be cured". Still, soothing sounds, suggestions, and the belief that you're taking medicine = placebo heaven. No adverse effects... well... the wallet may experience sudden weight-loss.

Yeah, most likely any of those CDs that cost 19.95 just want to steal your cash.

There's an Episode of ******** with Penn and Teller that talks about this stuff, and they have the scientist who conducted most of the research on music and brave waves talk on the show.

He was the one who said that it would make your baby smarter, but he later and now says that the claim he made in the past was totally bogus and that the new research shows that it only helps your brain while you're listening to it and a short amount of time after

SpeedOfDark said:
Yeah, most likely any of those CDs that cost 19.95 just want to steal your cash.

There's an Episode of ******** with Penn and Teller that talks about this stuff, and they have the scientist who conducted most of the research on music and brave waves talk on the show.

He was the one who said that it would make your baby smarter, but he later and now says that the claim he made in the past was totally bogus and that the new research shows that it only helps your brain while you're listening to it and a short amount of time after

Yeah, that sounds about right, and the funny thing is... how cool is that?! I feel like people miss out on the amazing observation that you can listen to Motzart and get a boost, even if it is only during/shortly after. I mean, a nootropic music, and people complain because it's not "forever"... heh.

1. What is binaural tone brain entrainment?

Binaural tone brain entrainment is a technique that uses two different sound frequencies played separately into each ear, in order to create a single tone that has a specific effect on the brain. This technique is often used for relaxation, meditation, and improving focus and concentration.

2. How does binaural tone brain entrainment work?

Binaural tone brain entrainment works by creating a difference in frequency between the two tones played into each ear. This difference creates a third tone, known as a binaural beat, which can influence brainwave activity and induce a certain state of mind.

3. What are the potential benefits of using binaural tone brain entrainment?

Some potential benefits of binaural tone brain entrainment include reducing stress and anxiety, improving sleep, enhancing focus and concentration, and promoting relaxation and feelings of well-being. It may also have potential applications in treating certain medical conditions, such as chronic pain and migraine headaches.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of using binaural tone brain entrainment?

Binaural tone brain entrainment is generally considered safe for most people, but there are a few potential risks and side effects to be aware of. These may include dizziness, headaches, and discomfort or irritation from the sound frequencies. It is important to use binaural tone brain entrainment in moderation and to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any pre-existing medical conditions.

5. How can I use binaural tone brain entrainment?

Binaural tone brain entrainment can be used through various methods, such as listening to audio recordings with headphones, using special devices that emit the tones, or attending guided meditation sessions that incorporate binaural beats. It is important to follow instructions carefully and to choose a method that is comfortable and effective for you.