Binding energy of a nucleus

• Thread starter jaredogden
  • Start date
I was reading over some nuclear physics and I came across the binding energy of a nucleus. The equation is Eb=[ZM(H)+Nmn-M(AZX)]x931.494 MeV/u

I remember seeing this and using this in class when I took it over a year ago but I can't remember exactly how to use it and I see no examples in the book. If anyone can help explain this that would be awesome. Thanks

Answers and Replies

Bill_K
Science Advisor
Insights Author
This is really just a definition, the observed mass of a nucleus minus the separate masses of all its protons and neutrons. We don't use it directly for anything, but it tells us something about nuclear forces. Often you'll see a graph of Eb per nucleon. The curve is relatively flat at 8 MeV per nucleon, and this suggests that the nuclear forces 'saturate', acting only between a nucleon and its nearest neighbors. (If each nucleon attracted all the others the binding energy would grow proportionally to N2.)

Nuclei are made up of protons and neutron, but the mass of a nucleus is always less than the sum of the individual masses of the protons and neutrons which constitute it. The difference is a measure of the nuclear binding energy which holds the nucleus together. This binding energy can be calculated from the Einstein relationship: