Binding energy of the electron in Hydrogen atom.

In summary: SI. So, in CGS, the third equation would be written as $$E_n = - \frac {mq^4} {2h^2 n^2}$$ and the first and second equations would be written as $$hbar_n = -13.6 eV/n2$$ and $$hbar_n = -13.6 eV$$ respectively. I get it now. All three are correct. Actually if we observe the coulomb law in SI and its counterpart in CGS we find that CGS units are such that the value of 1/4πε in CGS is 1. That is, ε(in CGS)... 1
otaKu
This website here says that the expression for binding energy for an electron is:

Image73.gif
This http://ocw.mit.edu/high-school/chemistry/exam-prep/structure-of-matter/atomic-theory-and-atomic-structure/MITHFH_lecnotes05.pdfby MIT calculates it quantum mechanically to give:
Untitled.png
The book I was reading optoelectronics from says that the energy binding the electron to the impurity(ionic nucleus) is
Untitled.png
I am totally confused as to why there is a discrepancy between these results. Don't they mean the same(not talking about the inclusion of atomic number in first and effective mass in third)? Since all of these denote the energy of the electron bound to the core(nucleus) why do they differ?! Am I overlooking something and all three of these are correct? I would highly value any advice or explanation on this discrepancy. I've referred multiple sources and feel completely lost even though it is something very fundamental and basic. Thank you!
(Follow the links to see the sources for the equations)

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially they are all saying the same thing, that the energy of the hydrogen atom with the electron in the nth state is given by

En= -13.6 eV/n2

The factor of Z2 refers to hydrogen-like atoms.

In the first or second formula the h should be h bar (h/2Pi). The last formula you presented is slightly more complicated because the lattice gives the electron an effective mass different from its isolated mass. I wouldn't worry about this until you take solid state physics.

DrSteve said:
In the first or second formula the h should be h bar (h/2Pi).

Even if I were to replace h by h/2π the formulas remain unequal. The 1st one has a π in it as well. I'd want to believe that the second one is correct but unfortunately the book I am reading seems to use the third one over and over which is essentially different from the second one even after I replace the h in second one with h/2π.

The first uses different units than the second and third.

The first equation uses Gaussian units. See this page of the lectures from which the first equation was taken, and notice how he writes Coulomb's law. Compare it to how the MIT notes write Coulomb's law.

Likes otaKu
Google doesn't let me view the page from the third book, that you linked to, and I'm not familiar with that book, or with that field, so I'd better not try to guess what's happening here.

jtbell said:
Google doesn't let me view the page from the third book, that you linked to, and I'm not familiar with that book, or with that field, so I'd better not try to guess what's happening here.
The book's name is Optical Processes in Semiconductors by Pankove. He uses this equation to approximate the binding energy of an electron to it's parent impurity ion inside a solid by considering it as an hydrogen atom immersed in a dielectric medium. I'll post the image if it helps.
Untitled.png

Vanadium 50 said:
The first uses different units than the second and third.
what about the third one? It seems different than the rest of the two and I don't seem to figure out a way to link it to either of them.

jtbell said:
I substituted the corresponding values of the constants and the second one is definitely in the SI notation. The first one, as you say is in gaussian, though I need to validate it by putting in the values of the constants. I suppose the third one is wrong and we need to replace the 2 with 8 there to convert it to SI.

The Ei in the third equation is a different energy from the En in the others. By letting En = - (13.6 eV)/n2 in the third equation, I get $$E_n = - \frac {mq^4} {2h^2 n^2}$$ which differs from the first equation by a factor of 1/(4π2), and from the second equation by a factor of ##4 \varepsilon_0^2##. It might be yet another system of electromagnetic units, or it might be simply the result of a typographical error somewhere else.

Likes otaKu
jtbell said:
The Ei in the third equation is a different energy from the En in the others. By letting En = - (13.6 eV)/n2 in the third equation, I get $$E_n = - \frac {mq^4} {2h^2 n^2}$$ which differs from the first equation by a factor of 1/(4π2), and from the second equation by a factor of ##4 \varepsilon_0^2##. It might be yet another system of electromagnetic units, or it might be simply the result of a typographical error somewhere else.
I get it now. All three are correct. Actually if we observe the coulomb law in SI and its counterpart in CGS we find that CGS units are such that the value of 1/4πε in CGS is 1. That is, ε(in CGS) = 1/4π. Substituting it in the third equations reduces it to 1st. *sigh* This might not be the best approach to do it but I guess it is correct. This thing consumed a hell lot of time. :/
Thank you everyone for their answers!
especially jtbell

Likes DrSteve
Those different systems of electromagnetic units can be a real pain in the <insert least favorite part of the anatomy here>. ?:)

Likes DrSteve

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to break apart a bound system into its individual components. In the case of the hydrogen atom, it is the energy required to separate the electron from the proton.

2. How is binding energy of the electron in hydrogen atom calculated?

The binding energy of the electron in hydrogen atom is calculated using the Rydberg formula, which takes into account the charge of the nucleus, the mass of the electron, and Planck's constant. It is also influenced by the principal quantum number, which determines the energy level of the electron.

3. What is the significance of the binding energy of the electron in hydrogen atom?

The binding energy of the electron in hydrogen atom is significant because it determines the stability of the atom. The lower the binding energy, the easier it is for the electron to be removed from the atom, making it less stable. It also plays a crucial role in chemical reactions and the formation of molecules.

4. How does the binding energy of the electron change with different energy levels?

The binding energy of the electron in hydrogen atom increases as the energy level of the electron increases. This means that the binding energy is strongest when the electron is in its lowest energy state, or ground state. As the electron moves to higher energy levels, the binding energy decreases.

5. Can the binding energy of the electron in hydrogen atom be measured experimentally?

Yes, the binding energy of the electron in hydrogen atom can be measured experimentally using spectroscopy techniques. By measuring the energy levels of the emitted photons from hydrogen atoms, the binding energy can be calculated and compared to the theoretical values predicted by the Rydberg formula.