1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding energy Problem

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is attached

2. Relevant equations

E=Delta{m}c2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I dont know the mass of any of the things they gave in the question, how do I calculate the mass defect and from there the binding energy per nucleon?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2
    They did give mass of electron and proton in equation table though.

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    There is a graph of binding energy per nucleon in many text books. Since this is mcq, i dont think u have time to calculate individual binding energies. Light nuclei have low binding energies and this increases up to IRON (see graph) Beyond Iron, binding energy per nucleon decreases (proof of lower stability and for radioctivity emission). ∴ Atoms having atomic mass greater than iron(Ar = 56) have lower binding energies.
    Answer is A.
    NOTE: Iron has the highest binding energy and has a highly stable nucleus (very very rare to find radioactive iron in nature)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook