1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding Energy?

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) Find the binding energy of N-13 nucleus, if the isotope of N-14 is more stable, what is the equation for the expected decay reaction.

2. Relevant equations

E= mc^2

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've figured out the binding energy, but I don't quite know what the problem is asking. Alpha, beta (both types), and gamma decay won't get N-13 to N-14.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I understand your confusion. Near as I can tell N-13 decays to C-13 via positron emission. To get to N-14 it would have to absorb something. Like maybe a neutron. I don't think the stability of N-14 has much to do with the problem.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I don't think the problem is asking for a decay process from N-13 to N-14; I believe it is saying that if you know that N-14 is more stable than N-13, what would the expected decay process of N-13 be?

So the 7/7 ratio of protons and neutrons in the N-14 nucleus is more stable than the 7/6 ratio for N-13. The preferred ratio is 1:1, so since the N-13 is proton rich we would expect positron emission.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?