1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding energy?

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Several reasons. What two competing forces contribute to nuclear binding energies? Why are neutron rich nuclei unstable?

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3
    i'm not sure. i really do not know much about this, it was more of a general question. though i would love to hear an explanation :) thanks!

5. Aug 7, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The simplified story is that the strong nuclear force makes nucleons bind to each other. The more nucleons there are around, the more partners any one nucleon has available to bind to. That's the reason for the rising binding energy to begin with. It stops growing as the neighborhood of each nucleon becomes full since nuclear binding is short range. The force opposing stability is electrostatic repulsion between the protons. Which just keeps growing as protons are added since it is a long range force. By the time you get up to uranium, the nucleus is just about ready to spontaneously fall apart.

6. Aug 7, 2008 #5
    what about binding energies to their electrons? does a higher nuclear binding energy result in a strong hold in its electrons?

7. Aug 8, 2008 #6
    I think the binding energy is between nuclear particles only and the electron sees only the protons (maybe diminished from screening by inner electrons)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?