Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding energy

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    do neutrons also feel strong nuclear force and if they do how is that possible because they are uncharched and no force is required to keep them together
    ?????????????

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2
    Neutrons ARE affected by strong force
    I don't understand your second question

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    what i mean to say is that since neutrons have no charge you dont need to do work against thier electrostatic repulsion and hence no force is required to keep them together then why they experience strong nuclear force????(i am trying my best to explain my self simply my english is not to well):blushing:

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4
    The neutron binding energy to the proton in deuterium is about 2.2 MeV.

Bob S

6. Mar 7, 2010 #5
    I still don't understand why neutrons should not be affected by strong force because it is chargeless.Are you asking why God devised the world like this?

7. Mar 7, 2010 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I think you are confusing the strong force with the electromagnetic force. Charge is for the electromagnetic force and it comes in two types, positive and negative. "Color" is for the strong force and it comes in three types, "red" "green" and "blue". The quotes are because the charge of the strong force has nothing whatsoever to do with the spectrum of visible light that makes up a rainbow, despite the rather silly names that suggest otherwise.

8. Mar 9, 2010 #7
    so r u saying that a particle does not have to be charged to experience strong nuclear force ??????????
    and what about the colours i have never heard someone referring to nuclear force by colours

9. Mar 9, 2010 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

10. Mar 10, 2010 #9
    thanx i will check them out

11. Mar 10, 2010 #10
    dude... neutrons (and even protons)have few particles called mesons(look for mesons theory) so due to the exchange of these particles,the charge of the nucleons keep shifting and a sort of nuclear glue is formed which the neutrons need not use any force externally to keep then together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook