Comparing Binding Energy: Electron vs. Neutron

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ratio of binding energy per nucleon to binding energy per electron in deuterium and determining which particle is held more tightly, the electron or neutron. The solution involves converting from electron volts to other units using ratios. The final answer for deuterium is (MeV/c^2)/nucleon, which can be converted to eV by using the conversion 1eV= 10^-6 MeV and multiplying by 10^-6 * 13.4.
Cudi1

Homework Statement

The energy that binds an orbiting electron to the hydrogen nucleus is 13.4 eV. Calculate the ratio of the binding energy per nucleon to the binding per electron in deuterium. Which particle is held more tightly, the electron or the neutron?

Homework Equations

using ratios

The Attempt at a Solution

basically I am having trouble converting from electron volts to the correct units, i know i have to use ratios but what would eV be converted to ?

Physics news on Phys.org
the answer i get for deutrieum is (MeV/c^2)/ nucleon how would i convert this to the eV in order to get the correct ratios ( only thing confusing me is the square of the speed of light)

any help, would i just use the conversion 1eV= 10^-6 MeV , multiply by 10^-6 * 13.4 and use ratios??

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the energy required to separate an object's components, such as atoms or subatomic particles, from each other.

2. How is binding energy measured?

Binding energy is typically measured in units of energy, such as electron volts (eV) or joules (J). It can also be expressed as a mass defect, which is the difference between the mass of the bound system and the sum of the masses of its individual components.

3. How does binding energy differ for electrons and neutrons?

The binding energy of electrons and neutrons varies depending on the type of atom or nucleus they are bound to. In general, electrons have lower binding energy than neutrons due to their smaller mass and weaker interaction with the nucleus.

4. Why is comparing binding energy between electrons and neutrons important?

Understanding the differences in binding energy between electrons and neutrons is crucial in understanding the stability of atomic nuclei and the processes of nuclear reactions. It also has applications in fields such as nuclear energy, astrophysics, and medicine.

5. How can we compare binding energy between electrons and neutrons?

The binding energy of electrons can be calculated using the Bohr model of the atom, while the binding energy of neutrons can be calculated using the nuclear binding energy equation. Both can also be experimentally measured using techniques such as mass spectrometry and nuclear reactions.