1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding energy

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two questions.
    1.The definition of binding energy is the work needed to split the nucleus into its constituent protons and neutrons. The strong nuclear force keeps the nucleus together hence is it right for me to say the binding energy is equal to the energy of the strong nuclear force? If that makes sense?
    2) When calculating binding energy do we take the electrons mass into account?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm my head I'm thinking that binding energy and strong nuclear force are the same thing; another definition of binding energy is the energy that keeps the nucleus together. This is implied from the first definition I gave above.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Binding force should also include electrostatic repulsion between protons. In heavy nuclei this is important. The strong force is short range, electromagnetic forces are long range. And the electron mass isn't important because i) the are very light and ii) with charge conservation there's the same number before the decay as after.

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    Thank you Sir. In some worked examples I see that they take the mass of the electrons into account and some do not. So I just wanted to confirm.
    Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted