Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Binding energy

1. Sep 11, 2016 #1
    If the binding energy in nuclear physics is e=mc^2, then would the binding energy of a larger object be:
    e=mv^2
    where v=the velocity of the asteroid?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the binding energy equation the m is the mass deficit ... does the concept of mass deficit apply to the asteroid?
    In the asteroid equation, v is the speed of the asteroid; in the binding energy, the speed "c" appears in the same place... does that mean that the nucleus is moving at the speed of light?
    In short: no. You cannot do physics by analogy.

4. Sep 11, 2016 #3
    Okay. Thank-you. Do you know how I would be able to find the binding energy of the asteroid?

5. Sep 11, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

There are several types of binding energy. Which one are you looking for? Gravitational? Nuclear? Chemical?

6. Sep 11, 2016 #5
    I think gravitational. I need to know if a bomb would explode an asteroid or not, and I was going to do a comparison on the energy of the bomb (which I've already figured out), to the binding energy of the asteroid.

7. Sep 11, 2016 #6

Drakkith

8. Sep 11, 2016 #7
  9. Sep 11, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Note that the binding energy of an asteroid also contributes to its mass via E=mc2 as every energy in the rest frame does, but the contribution is completely negligible.

10. Sep 11, 2016 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... if the idea is to destroy the asteroid before it arrives at some target, detonating it won't remove it's kinetic energy (though distributing the bits over a big volume can reduce the amount of mass that strikes the target. Phil Plait has an artical about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted