Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Binding Energy

1. Sep 3, 2017 #1
    So I was wondering why do nucleons need to remove mass to form a nucleus. Is it because it lowers the energy of the nucleus making it more stable or something completely different. I understand that it is the energy input to break the nucleus into its components, however, why do nuclear reaction release so much energy. II also understand that in fission and fusion reactions the binding energy per nucleons increase after the reaction, but is that all? I know I sound slightly confused but just want clarification.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What does "need to remove mass" mean?
    Different nuclei have different binding energies. All nuclei have less energy than the individual protons and neutrons have, otherwise they would not exist (the protons and neutrons would simply fly apart).
    The strong interaction is strong.

4. Sep 3, 2017 #3
    What I meant was why the nucleons need to release energy. But I now understand that they actually need to release energy to 'slow down' and bond together.

5. Sep 3, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Energy is conserved. If the new nucleus has a lower energy, the difference has to go somewhere: radiation or kinetic energy of particles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted