What is the Binding Energy per Nucleon of 238U in MeV?

• Thread starter felipenavarro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nucleon Per
In summary, the binding energy per nucleon of 23892 U in MeV is 7.758 MeV. This was calculated by finding the difference in mass from the ideal weight and atomic weight, multiplying it by 931.5, and then dividing by the number of nucleons in the atom. The extra mass in the nucleus is the binding energy.
felipenavarro

Homework Statement

Find the binding energy per nucleon of
92 U in MeV

Homework Equations

ΔM= ideal mass - atomic mass
Ebind= ΔM * 931.5

The Attempt at a Solution

first i found the diference in mass from ideal weight and atomich weight which is 1.98499. then i multiplied it by 931.5 which gives me a total binding energy of 1849.0181 MeV.
Now, i understand that a nulceon is a pair made of a proton and a neutron so i should divide my answer by the number of nucleons in the atom. but there are more neutrons than protons in U so i don't know what should i divide by!

Physics news on Phys.org
"In chemistry and physics, a nucleon is one of the particles that makes up the atomic nucleus. Each atomic nucleus consists of one or more nucleons, and each atom in turn consists of a cluster of nucleons surrounded by one or more electrons. There are two kinds of nucleon: the neutron and the proton. The mass number of a given atomic isotope is identical to its number of nucleons. Thus the term nucleon number may be used in place of the more common terms mass number or atomic mass number." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleon

ehild

oh, it makes sense now, thanks!

Total binding energy, [itex] E_b = (Zm_p + Nm_n - M(Z,N))c^2 [/itex]
You should find that, in adding up all the constituent nucleons that their sum is greater than that of the mass of the actual nucleus. This 'extra' mass is the binding energy.

The binding energy per nucleon [itex] = \frac{E_b}{A}, [/itex] where A is the number of nucleons (number of protons and neutrons)

EDIT: I see that your question has already been answered

yea haha, thanks anyway

1. What is binding energy per nucleon?

Binding energy per nucleon is the amount of energy required to break apart the nucleus of an atom into its individual nucleons (protons and neutrons). It is a measure of the stability of a nucleus.

2. How is binding energy per nucleon calculated?

Binding energy per nucleon is calculated by dividing the total binding energy of a nucleus by the number of nucleons in the nucleus.

3. Why is binding energy per nucleon important?

Binding energy per nucleon is important because it determines the stability of a nucleus and the likelihood of a nuclear reaction occurring. It also plays a role in the formation of elements in nuclear fusion reactions.

4. What factors affect binding energy per nucleon?

The main factors that affect binding energy per nucleon are the number of nucleons in the nucleus and the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for binding the nucleons together. The type of nucleons (protons or neutrons) and their arrangement in the nucleus can also have an impact on binding energy per nucleon.

5. How does binding energy per nucleon differ between elements?

Binding energy per nucleon varies between elements, with heavier elements generally having a higher binding energy per nucleon due to the presence of more nucleons and a stronger nuclear force. However, there are exceptions to this trend, such as the elements iron and nickel, which have particularly high binding energy per nucleon due to their stability.