Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binghamton Attack

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7982444.stm

First, I thought it's a terrorist attack .. and then after reading that immigrants were attacked, I thought it must be some white supremacist or racist skinhead, and was bit surprised that it was an Asian (who must have his own personal reasons/motives and highly unlikely that it was an terrorist or racists attack IMHO).

But regardless of who killed people for whatever reason, it's a really sad news.

I think US must need to think about these accidents that mostly happen randomly. They are no less dangerous than terrorists attacks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But as long as there is fairly easy access to guns, and not a lot of enthusiasm for raising money (i.e., taxes) to care for the mentally ill (or keep them from buying guns at, say, gun shows), it's inevitable that this will happen from time to time, IMO.

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Asians can't be racist?

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah saying this is race motivated is pretty presumptuous. He may not have even had a problem with the agency the building housed for all we know, he may have been just insane and his victims were just an unfortunate random selection.

6. Apr 3, 2009 #5
    If this guy attacked some non Asian immigrants in Asia then most likely it would be a racist attack. I was just trying to find what caused this accident while reading the article and those were the things that came to my mind.

I don't think race had anything to do in here.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  7. Apr 3, 2009 #6
    It doesn't look like a random selection unless he was there giving the test and found it too challenging etc :rolleyes:

8. Apr 3, 2009 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Are you being serious? People that walk into government buildings and open fire aren't usually thinking logically in the first place...

9. Apr 4, 2009 #8
    Investigators said they had yet to establish a motive for the massacre, which was at least the fifth deadly mass shooting in the U.S. in the past month alone.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090403/ap_on_re_us/hostage_shooting [Broken]

I'm not sure if that means ranked fifth, or was the next after the forth one.

Five mass shootings in a month. That's five too many.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Apr 4, 2009 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This might well be a terrorist attack, rather than the "ordinary" massacre perpetrated by the social misfit and loner driven by entirely private urges.

An organization has already taken up "responsibility" for this action as a retaliative strike, something that should tell you this tragic event might belong to a very different category than, say, school shootings.
    Of course, as is related, this might be a very distasteful publicity stunt from the Taliban chief in question.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  11. Apr 4, 2009 #10
    They must have something else in their minds other than publicity if it is correct. It looks like a really clever attack.

12. Apr 4, 2009 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Overlay a map of the US onto all of Europe. That will put the number of reports into a better perspective. Also, we have guns, easier to kill many people at once. But, that seems to be what the majority of people want here.

13. Apr 4, 2009 #12

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090311/ap_on_re_eu/eu_europe_gun_laws_1 [Broken]

I think it's a good move.

Above move should help IMO.

14. Apr 4, 2009 #13
    Three more officers of the Pittsburgh police were just shot and killed in a standoff with it gunman :/

15. Apr 4, 2009 #14
    FYI, people don't have to go to gun shows to buy a gun without going through a criminal/mental health check. I could sell a gun to my neighbor no questions asked, for example. A gun show is just a flea market where someone like myself could go to sell my guns to others. Anti-gun folks make gun shows out to be a "loop-hole" when it's not, it's just a place where gun owners go and try to make a buck. If you are technically a "business" then you have to have a dealers license that requires you to go through the security checks. If there were a law passed it would have to outlaw the private sale of firearms.

16. Apr 4, 2009 #15
    People are going on shooting sprees a lot lately. It's alarming. One of my biggest questions is "why isn't anyone shooting back!". Because, most of these places are "gun-free" zones where you are basically defenseless target in a lunatics shooting gallery.

17. Apr 4, 2009 #16

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Overly a map of the US onto half of Europe, and that will put the number of reports in better perspective.

I thought it was only a matter of time before a thread was started on this, and an even shorter matter of time before we started discussing firearms laws.... again (there we go.. see the post above).

18. Apr 4, 2009 #17

Evo

On my map the US should cover it, don't forget we have Alaska. :wink: We can leave Alaska off if we leave the Norweedish countries off.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-map.jpg [Broken]

19. Apr 4, 2009 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was thinking more population size, really!

20. Apr 4, 2009 #19

Evo

21. Apr 4, 2009 #20
    Supposedly (based on news reports) the guy in Pittsburgh thought Obama was going to take away his AK-47...(I hope this isn't a trend).

I lived in Pittsburgh for about 6 years. I can assure everyone, gun ownership will NEVER be repealed there...too many deer hunters (the "Deer Hunter" was actually filmed in the local suburb of Clairton). One of the more popular venues to purchase weapons in Pittsburgh is at local "gun shows". These events are often hosted in fire halls (to raise money) and involve all day drinking...always a good mix.

Hopefully, assault rifles WILL be reconsidered now.

However, there is a far bigger problem in Pittsburgh. There are too many unstable people holding carry permits (for concealed hand guns) in Allegheny county...it's well known and has been a problem for a long time.

Worse yet, the law states that the person must keep the weapon in their possession. This means a bar/tavern/stadium/grocery store/WalMart (for instance) with a policy of "No Firearms" can not require a person to leave their weapon in a vehicle...it's against the law.

I absolutely agree there should be an overlay of mental competency...and I'd add DUI and domestic abuse filters in the consideration of gun licensing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook