Calculating Probability for Bingo Game: 4 Corners, Row, and 2 Rows

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the probability of getting a given combination in a game. The total number of balls in the box is 80 and the total number of chosen balls is 45. There is only 1 card with 5x5 numbers. The question is the probability of getting 4 corners, any row, or any 2 rows. The first suggestion is to use the combinations formula to calculate the probability. The correct answer for "any row" is (c(76,41)/c(80,45))*5 - ( (c(76,41)/c(80,45))^5 + (c(76,41)/c(80,45))^4 + (c
haplo3
Hey all,
have a problem to solve for my new game game. really appreciate if someone can help me solve this issue:

* i need to calculate the probability for a given combination

1. Total number of balls in the box = 80
2. Total number of chosen balls 45
3. for simplicity we have only 1 card 5x5 (25 numbers in total)

question
what is the probability that i will get
a. 4 corners of the card?
b. any row ?
c. any 2 rows?

if someone can give me a start i will be happy

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a start. I'm assuming you are holding the card and the 4 corners are known. There are C(80,45) possible combinations of 45 drawn from 80. There are C(76,41) combinations that contain your 4 corners so the probability of getting all 4 corners is C(76,41)/C(80,45). Any row is similar except that there are 5 of them, each containing 5 numbers. Give it a try.

alan2 said:
Here's a start. I'm assuming you are holding the card and the 4 corners are known. There are C(80,45) possible combinations of 45 drawn from 80. There are C(76,41) combinations that contain your 4 corners so the probability of getting all 4 corners is C(76,41)/C(80,45). Any row is similar except that there are 5 of them, each containing 5 numbers. Give it a try.

thank you very much. for the rows because i can get 5 different combination

(c(76,41)/c(80,45))*5

is that correct?

i assume not cause it includes the probability of getting 2 rows together or 3 rows or 4 rows, right?

is this the correct answer for 'any row'

(c(76,41)/c(80,45))*5 - ( (c(76,41)/c(80,45))^5 + (c(76,41)/c(80,45))^4 + (c(76,41)/c(80,45))^3 + (c(76,41)/c(80,45))^2 )

so change of getting a row multiply by 5 = this will give me the chance of geting 1st OR 2nd OR 3th OR 4th OR 5th

but will also give me AND 5,4,3,2 rows together - there for i deduct those

I can help you with calculating the probability for your new bingo game. To start, we need to understand the basic principles of probability. Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

In your case, the total number of balls in the box is 80, and the total number of chosen balls is 45. This means that there are 80 possible outcomes and 45 favorable outcomes. Now, let's look at the different combinations you have mentioned:

a. 4 corners of the card: To calculate the probability of getting 4 corners, we need to know how many ways we can choose 4 corners out of the 45 chosen balls. This can be calculated using the combination formula nCr, where n is the total number of balls (45) and r is the number of corners (4). So, the number of ways to choose 4 corners is 45C4 = 45!/(4!(45-4)!) = 45!/(4!*41!) = 45*44*43*42/4*3*2*1 = 45*11*43 = 20790. Therefore, the probability of getting 4 corners is 20790/45 = 0.0002179 or 0.02179%.

b. Any row: To calculate the probability of getting any row, we need to consider all possible combinations of numbers in a row. Since there are 5 rows in total, we need to calculate the probability of getting at least one of those rows. This can be done by adding the probabilities of getting each row individually. So, the probability of getting any row is (1/5) + (1/5) + (1/5) + (1/5) + (1/5) = 5/5 = 1 or 100%.

c. Any 2 rows: To calculate the probability of getting any 2 rows, we need to consider all possible combinations of choosing 2 rows out of the 5 rows. This can be calculated using the combination formula nCr, where n is the total number of rows (5) and r is the number of rows we want to choose (2). So, the number of ways to choose 2 rows is 5C2 = 5!/(2!(5-2)!)

1. What is the probability of winning at bingo?

The probability of winning at bingo depends on the number of players and cards being played. In a standard game of bingo, with 75 numbers and one winner, the probability of winning is 1 in 75 or approximately 1.33%.

2. How many numbers are needed to win at bingo?

The number of numbers needed to win at bingo varies depending on the type of game being played. In a standard game of bingo, the first player to mark off all five numbers in a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal line wins. This means that a minimum of five numbers are needed to win.

3. What is the probability of getting a specific bingo pattern?

The probability of getting a specific bingo pattern depends on the number of balls in play and the pattern being played. For example, in a standard 75-ball bingo game, the probability of getting a straight line is 1 in 11,087,386, while the probability of getting a full house (all 24 numbers) is 1 in 552,446,474,061. The more complex the pattern, the lower the probability of getting it.

4. Can the probability of winning at bingo be increased?

The probability of winning at bingo cannot be increased, as it is purely based on chance. However, players can increase their chances of winning by purchasing more cards or playing in games with fewer players.

5. Is there any strategy to increase the chances of winning at bingo?

As bingo is a game of chance, there is no strategy that can guarantee a win. However, some players believe in strategies such as choosing cards with numbers that have not yet been called or playing during less busy times to increase their chances. Ultimately, these strategies do not have a significant impact on the overall probability of winning at bingo.