Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Binoculars vs Telescopes

1. Nov 13, 2010 #1
    Binoculars vs Telescopes

Which one would allow me to see farther into space:
    A 20x80 Astronomy Binocular or a 60x600 Telescope?

Does an impression of depth with binoculars actually enhance the star-gazing experience?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm about to buy my first AB/Telescope and wanted to get some opinions. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Planning to buy a first telescope?

Welcome to PF.

If seeing "farther" means seeing more distant objects, then a telescope is the answer.

4. Nov 13, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Many people find it more natural to view with both eyes instead of just one. That comfort (as opposed to an "impression of depth") drives lots of folks to buy binocular attachments with duplicated eyepieces for their telescopes.

If you buy a telescope, you'll have the opportunity to change eyepieces, so you can use a range of magnifications and get a range of field-of-view. Lots of people think that they will want lots of magnification, and are surprised at how often they use longer (lower-power) eyepieces in order to get a wider field of view.

If you can arrange it, please attend a star-party or two before making your decision. You'll be able to view through a few instruments and get an idea what you can see through them. There is no point in spending money on decent gear before you actually know what you can expect it to do for you.

5. Nov 19, 2010 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with turbo-1. Balance aperature with portability. A scope too difficult to handle and set up will not be enjoyable.

6. Nov 27, 2010 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No argument on Questar, not a a good value. Meade and Celestron make better instruments for less $$. I'm somewhat partial to Meade's Schmidt-Newts [great bang for the buck]. On the other hand, the Meade ACF has phenomenal optics, better mount/goto, and is more portable - but, about twice the price per inch of aperature. I'm lazy so I prefer the ACF. Allow me to add, however, any scope over 10" is a royal pain to lug around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook