Binomial and normal distros

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Stirling's formula to show that the binomial distribution reduces to the normal distribution for any probability p. The individual provides a detailed derivation, but encounters an extra term in the final result. The use of Stirling's approximation for the ratio of n! is discussed as a potential solution.
RedX
I want to show that the binomial distribution:

[tex]P(m)=\frac{n!}{(n-m)!m!}p^m(1-p)^{n-m} [/tex]

using Stirling's formula:

[tex]n!=n^n e^{-n} \sqrt{2\pi n} [/tex]

reduces to the normal distribution:

[tex]P(m)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi n}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{p(1-p)}}

exp[-\frac{1}{2}\frac{(m-np)^2}{np(1-p)}]
[/tex]

Unfortunately, I keep on getting an extra term linear in m-np:

[tex] exp[\frac{m-np}{2n}\frac{2p-1}{(1-p)p}][/tex]

This term is zero if p=1/2, but I want to show that the binomial distribution reduces to the normal distribution for any probablity p.

Has anyone else had this problem, as I'm sure this derivation is fairly common?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to show your derivation in detail. In any case the central limit theorem could be used.

mathman said:
It would help to show your derivation in detail. In any case the central limit theorem could be used.

Sure. It's a little bit lengthy though, so it might take some work to read it:

[tex]
P(m)=\frac{\sqrt{2 \pi n}n^ne^{-n}}{\sqrt{2 \pi m}m^me^{-m}*\sqrt{2 \pi (n-m)}(n-m)^{(n-m)}e^{-(n-m)}}p^m(1-p)^{n-m}=

\frac{n^{n+1}}{\sqrt{2 \pi n}*m^{m+\frac{1}{2}}*(n-m)^{(n-m)+\frac{1}{2}}}p^m(1-p)^{n-m}
[/tex]

[tex]\frac{n^{n+1}}{\sqrt{2 \pi n}*m^{m+\frac{1}{2}}*(n-m)^{(n-m)+\frac{1}{2}}}p^m(1-p)^{n-m}=

\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi n}} \exp[\log[\frac{n^{n+1}}{m^{m+\frac{1}{2}}*(n-m)^{(n-m)+\frac{1}{2}}}p^m(1-p)^{n-m}]]
[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi n}} \exp(\log[\frac{n^{n+1}}{m^{m+\frac{1}{2}}*(n-m)^{(n-m)+\frac{1}{2}}}p^m(1-p)^{n-m}]]=
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi n}}\exp[(n+1) \log n -(m+^1/_2) \log m
[/tex]

[tex]-(n-m+^1/_2) \log (n-m)+m\log p + (n-m) \log[1-p] ][/tex]

Now I set m=pn+k in the expression, where pn is the average number of successes, and k is the difference from the average, and use that k<<<pn to expand the logarithms in power series up to second order (i.e., ln(1+x)=x-.5x^2).

So for example:

[tex](m+^1/_2) \log m=(pn+k+^1/_2)\log (pn+k)=
(pn+k+^1/_2)[\log (pn)+\log (1+k/(pn))]=
(pn+k+^1/_2)[\log (pn)+k/(pn)-.5 k^2/(pn)^2]

[/tex]

After keeping all terms up to second order, I get:

[tex]P(m)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi n}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{p(1-p)}}\exp[-\frac{1}{2}\frac{k^2}{np(1-p)}] \exp[\frac{k}{2n} \frac{2p-1}{(1-p)p}] [/tex]

and that last factor doesn't make sense, but I've checked my results three times and it keeps coming out. But if p=1/2, then it becomes 1, and I do get the normal distribution.

Just a thought: Stirlings approximation for n! doesn't converge to n! as n approaches infinity. However the ratio of the approximation to n! converges to 1. Does anyone know the situation whe we use Stirings approximations for [itex] C_r^n [/itex] ?

1. What is a binomial distribution?

A binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has a constant probability of success. It is often used to model events with two possible outcomes, such as flipping a coin or winning a game.

2. How is a binomial distribution different from a normal distribution?

While both binomial and normal distributions are used to describe probabilities, they are used in different scenarios. A binomial distribution is used when there are a fixed number of trials with a constant probability of success, while a normal distribution is used to model continuous data with a bell-shaped curve.

3. What is the formula for calculating a binomial distribution?

The formula for calculating a binomial distribution is P(x) = nCx * p^x * q^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, p is the probability of success, and q is the probability of failure. nCx represents the number of ways to choose x items from a set of n items.

4. How is the mean and standard deviation calculated for a binomial distribution?

The mean of a binomial distribution is calculated by multiplying the number of trials (n) by the probability of success (p). The standard deviation is calculated by taking the square root of n * p * q, where q is the probability of failure.

5. What are some real-world examples of binomial distributions?

Binomial distributions can be seen in many real-world scenarios, such as predicting the likelihood of a certain number of people getting sick from a new virus, the number of people who prefer a certain brand of soda, or the number of successful sales in a given time period. It is also commonly used in genetics to predict the likelihood of a certain genetic trait being inherited.